Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

StaySeated

IBT does not represent ME
A longevity freeze is the deepest form of concession possible. Every year after the freeze you are losing money in every form possible. You lose pay, you lose 401k contributions, you lose b-fund contributions. Add these losses together and were talking about huge sums of money. In the comair case each pilot will lose a few thousand the first year. Hmm, you just gave up a few million dollars. Then year two comes up and your loses are compounded. Five years down the road and your @ss just gave up a number value so large you wouldn't believe. Remember, your new fearless leader just said he was not asking for concessions. He just wants you to give up a cool hundred million between now and the conclusion of section 6. Ahh, its only money and those Embs are soooooo cooooool.

good points

You are correct that longevity freezes are compounded. the devil, of course, is in the details. according to FB (yeah I know, but anyway, according to him) the freeze will stop if we don't get the planes, and/or in 2007 regardless and if we don't have a contract by the end of the one year extension, he will put in writing a company request for a proffer of arbitration to be released into a 30 day cooling off period.

Normaly it takes 3 years minimum to get to the point where both sides request a proffer. If our current language "early opener" date is kept in tact, we can be at the point of a new contract years sooner than if we don't take this freeze. What's a better climate to be asking for a raise, 2009 with no growth in 5 years and CHQ and SKYW flying 70 and maybe 90 seaters for significantly less than our 50 and 70 rates, or 2007 with 20% more planes and 35 planes fewer at lower cost DCI carriers?

If we do nothing and let the cancer continue to grow, what will the compounded effects of that be years down the road?

One of our problems is that every one else is flying the 70 for way too close to the 50 rate. We have to live in this world. We can continue to be paid at the top but the pressure to narrow the gap may necessitate some kind of concession. Some of our pilots who have been nasty to others are going to take some (well earned;) ) grief over that. The fact remains though, that you have to live in the real world. Oh yeah, the devil is in the details, and we will get to vote on any changes..."so I got that goin' for me, which is nice!"

Latest resources

Back