Lone Star Flight Museum

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

embpic1

I was looking at google earth and realized this museum is going to get hammered by Ike. I hope that they were able to fly most of the planes out. Some of them can't fly and might be lost. Keeping my fingers crossed.

http://www.lsfm.org/index.html

Yeah my friend and I were just talking about this. We have no idea what they are doing down there.

Winds picking up a little here right now though

The flyable aircraft were flown out on thursday and friday, with the DC-3 being the last one out.
The B-17, B-25, F4U, F6F, F8F, AD4, UH-1, SBD, P-47, PT-17, were all repositioned to Midland and other airports in the Houston area.

Any news on how the museum weathered the storm?

From the LSFM website page:

September 14, 2008 10:00 a.m. - Galveston, Texas
All museum staff are safe following passage of Hurricane IKE.
Damage to the museum is substantial. The extent of the damage has yet to be assessed by LSFM officials and staff. As soon as the preliminary assessment has been made we will post information here. As soon as possible we will let you know about reorganization and reopening.
Prior to IKE’s arrival, pilots were able to fly the following aircraft out of harm’s way: B-17, B-25, DC-3,P-47, F6F, F4U, SBD, AT-11, P-6 and the F8F.
We want to thank all of our friends and supporters for their thoughts and prayers.
Larry Gregory, President

From the LSFM website page:

September 14, 2008 10:00 a.m. - Galveston, Texas
All museum staff are safe following passage of Hurricane IKE.
Damage to the museum is substantial. The extent of the damage has yet to be assessed by LSFM officials and staff. As soon as the preliminary assessment has been made we will post information here. As soon as possible we will let you know about reorganization and reopening.
Prior to IKE’s arrival, pilots were able to fly the following aircraft out of harm’s way: B-17, B-25, DC-3,P-47, F6F, F4U, SBD, AT-11, P-6 and the F8F.
We want to thank all of our friends and supporters for their thoughts and prayers.
Larry Gregory, President

Man I am hoping the PB-Y 5A survived. They are getting kinda rare. Unfortunately with a 104 ft wingspan there is little chance it escaped unscathed.

I've been inside of it several times, and its fairly stock inside too, compared with the cutaway fuselage at the Navy Museum in P'cola.

It has enough holes in the fuselage that there is little danger of it floating in the water in the hangar deck.

I saw the Skyraider and Bearcat take off when I was there on Thursday. They sounded great. The Stearman was really moving when they made turn downwind, too. Hope the museum didn't take too much damage.

The damage was worse than what I expected. The Museum President and others flew into GLS on a helo, inspected the premises, and took some photos.
The water got to about 8 feet inside, blew out some exterior walls, and the wave action pushed the remaining aircraft and displays around inside. The B-58 moved into an exterior wall and was damaged. Many of the displays in the Texas Aviation Hall of Fame were destroyed. The shop area was devestated by water and mud. The gift shop and storage areas were damaged by water and silt/mud.
The only areas that were not damaged by water were the second stories, but mold and mildew will take its toll soon if workers cannot get access and dry things out.
The static airplanes will begin corroding if they cannot get a fresh water rinse and corrosion control measures very soon.

Latest resources

Back