• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

lone pine airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You guys are hardcore. My idea of camping is anything less than a four star hotel :) But thats just me; I like the little things in life such as showers, toilets, and not having to worry about bears carrying me off in my sleep.

Not to worry. The bears will eat you where you lie. Sort of like a candy bar, with the sleeping bag as the wrapper. No need to be carried off anywhere.

My summer base didn't even have running water, electricity, or indoor toilets until last year. We got the electricity.

Still no water or toilets. And that's the tanker base.

Four years there to date, and still bear-free. Come to think of it, I never saw one at Lone Pine, either.

avbug said:
Not to worry. The bears will eat you where you lie. Sort of like a candy bar, with the sleeping bag as the wrapper. No need to be carried off anywhere.

My summer base didn't even have running water, electricity, or indoor toilets until last year. We got the electricity.

Still no water or toilets. And that's the tanker base.

Four years there to date, and still bear-free. Come to think of it, I never saw one at Lone Pine, either.

When I climbed up Mt. Williamson several years ago, most people we met on the trail were complaining about "Lucy" getting into their stuff. Our climbing party never had a problem either on the way up or back. But we heard about her and saw the aluminum foil impregnated scat both ways.

But common, bears don't carry you off. If they do anything, they DRAG you off.....

Last edited:
avbug said:
You can always tell the bears by the little bells in their scat...

Isn't that how you can tell if it is either a brown/black bear or a grizzly? The grizzly scat is the ones with the bells and whistles in it.

phantomdriver said:
Is there any good fishing areas in lone pine? if so what type of fish(es)?

There is trout in the owens river just below the dam on Lake Crowley. That's a ways up the valley, but within a couple hours of Lone Pine. There are rainbow trout and brown trout. And guess what, in the Golden Trout Wilderness Area, you'll find Golden Trout. I'm not that avid a fisherman but I do recall a few friday afternoons spending some time with a fishing poll below the dam. Gotta what the limit. I think for the native browns it is still one per person per day.

There is one other kind of trout you'll find. But I don't think they want you going after them. On the way up to Mt. Williamson, there is an area called Williamnson Bowl that sits at about 12,000 feet. In this "bowl" there are deep and cold glacieral lakes and tallas the size of mach trucks. In those lakes you will discover that the Colorado Department of Game and Fish (yeah, I said Colorado) has planted Native Rock Mountain Spotted Trout for safe keeping. I guess the rainbows in the rockies are overrunning the breed and they use these to keep them pure.

We ran into a game warden who told us all this as we were heading out after climbing Mt. Williamson and had attempted Mt. Tindall, another 14er. That's another story...

Latest resources

Back