London City

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Hugh Johnson

I just read in the new "Business and Commercial Aviation" that Exelaires' Legacy 600's are approved for LCY. Anyone know if those are N registered? Thanks.

I just read in the new "Business and Commercial Aviation" that Exelaires' Legacy 600's are approved for LCY. Anyone know if those are N registered? Thanks.

Unless something has changed very recently, N registered aircraft are not approved for the steep approach into LCY. I do know the FAA is very close to granting approvals however.

Unless something has changed very recently, N registered aircraft are not approved for the steep approach into LCY.....

Hugh and 2Easy...it has changed. Excelaire air received their authorization late last year...November or December if I recall.

It's one of those "special aircrew/aircraft" authorization sort of deals. Like Cat II, etc...

Airframe has to be equipped and/or certified by the manufacture for the steep slope approach and the flight crew has to receive the special operations training.

I believe FSI is the vendor for the training for the London City special course.

All this went down this past year.

Hugh and 2Easy...it has changed. Excelaire air received their authorization late last year...November or December if I recall.

It's one of those "special aircrew/aircraft" authorization sort of deals. Like Cat II, etc...

Airframe has to be equipped and/or certified by the manufacture for the steep slope approach and the flight crew has to receive the special operations training.

I believe FSI is the vendor for the training for the London City special course.

Its not as simple as that, they had to do alot of work. For the 900EX, you would have to change the AFM, as it states steep approach procedures are not applicable to N registered aircraft. The training has always been available at FSI, and multiple US aircraft are certified by JAR for steep approaches, as long as they are not N registered. The last time I had checked with our FSDO, the reason US registered planes couldn't do it is the flight testing had never been done by the FAA, as there is no requirement in the US for steep approaches. Time to get on the phone.

Its not as simple as that, they had to do alot of work....

I didn't mean to imply Excelaire had an easy time of it. Just that a US operator got approved their "N" numbered E135's.

I'd take your FSDO right out of the loop for the time being and simply give Geore Kyriacou a call. He's the D.O. at Excelaire. He'll give you the straight scoop on their process, and at that point you'll be able to show your FSDO how woefully uneducated and behind they really are!

I didn't mean to imply Excelaire had an easy time of it. Just that a US operator got approved their "N" numbered E135's.

I'd take your FSDO right out of the loop for the time being and simply give Geore Kyriacou a call. He's the D.O. at Excelaire. He'll give you the straight scoop on their process, and at that point you'll be able to show your FSDO how woefully uneducated and behind they really are!

I'm gonna do it, and I owe you a beer.

All the above is 100% correct - ExcelAire Legacy crews all went to FSI in Paris to train for the approach - all 3 of the company Legacys had their on-board software upgraded in order to allow operations into LCY.

Latest resources

Back