• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Logging training time in upt

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thought type ratings were only for 12,500...I was wrong. So what skyward80 said would have to be accurate about the T-6 (If you had your high performance sign-off). But you would only be able to log dual given and TT for the t-37.

Last edited:
I think that the type rating requirement only applies to aircraft with a civilian certification, things like the C-12 (king air) or KC-135 (Boeing 707), if you are flying a military only plane like a fighter or bomber there is no civilian certification of the aircraft therefor no type rating. but if you get one of these as surplus military and use it as a civilian aircraft (most world war 2 fighters or the L-39 for example) then you need a "letter of authorization" from the FAA.
When you go to the FAA to convert from military to civilian pilot if you were authorized by the military to be PIC in an aircraft that has a civilian type rating you could get that type rating on your certificate like the B707, but if there isn't a civilian equal like the F-14 then no type rating for that plane

There are two issues here - using this time for another FAA certificate, and using it to get hired by a commercial carrier.

For FAA purposes (like getting your ATP) you can log time in UPT/Naval Flight Training if you hold the applicable civilian certificate, you hold the type rating if there is one, and the flight meets the requirements outlined in the FAR's (distance requirements for XC time for example). If there is no FAA type rating, you may log the time with just the applicable certificate. Don't forget the requirement to have a complex/high performance sign-off as well. That means, for example, that you can legally log your "pilot at the controls" time during training to meet the PIC requirements for an ATP if you hold the civilian certificate prior to starting UPT, and meet all other requirements outlined in the FAR's.

Listing this time on civilian airline applications is problematical, and does not follow the rules set out in the FAR's. Some companies will allow it some won't. United is the traditional example of a company that was extremely picky about this.

I would recommend keeping track of it to help you get the mins for your ATP (know what those flight time goal are), but keep your civilian and military records separate. I put mine in a database I created, but I guess there are some electronic logbook programs that can help you keep track. When it comes time for civilian applications, be conservative and understand what the company is looking for and will allow. You won't find that answer in the FAR's.

Good luck at UPT.

Latest resources

Back