Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilotguy5

Hello,
I have a quick question about logging simulator time.
Back when everyone got their inst. rating and utilized a simulator (ours was a ATC something or other), how was this time logged in your log book? I know under simulator and dual received but does it go under simulated instrument? Or is that only for when in the actual aircraft?

Thanks,
Ken

Mine went under FTD and Dual Recieved (ATC710)...that's it...

-mini

*edit* I'm sure you can put it under Sim Instrument too though...

-mini

Sim instrument is used for hood time. Both sim and actual are flight times. FTD is not flight time.

From a strictly FAR standpoint, it is countable as simulated instrument time. But most logbooks I've seen and most pilots I've come across tend to reserve that column for simulated instrument time in flight in an aircraft a/k/a "hood time."

As vclean said, sim/FTD time is never flight time. So it's more a record keeping issue than anything else. You need to ask yourself (1) if the FAA looks at my logbook, will what I did be clear without explanation and (2) will I be ble to separate flight time from non-flight time for an 8710, an insurance application, or a job opportunity?

just log it as ground trainer or flight simulator time. even if its a level d which is technically loggable flight time. you'd be a tool to log any time that isnt in an actual airplane as flight time, no offense, just saying.

Lil Jon said:
jeven if its a level d which is technically loggable flight time.
Can you show us where it says that? I can show you FAR 1.1 where it says

==============================
Flight time means: (1) Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing;

and

Aircraft means a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air.

Do you have something that says "except a Level D simulator?"

Latest resources

Back