logging sim time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shortbus driver

I have a question about initial training. I went through initial crj sim for the SIC type and i am wondering how to log it...do you not have to? I thought for a rating you need to log any training for that rating. Also, its a level? sim but its rated so a capt can do a checkride in it. Can you log it as sim time...not total time or as a CRJ aircraft with total time...or other. please let me know
Short buuuussssss

You should log it. It should be logged as a "level 5 crj sim".

This topic comes up every few months. If you do a search you will find varying answers. Personally I don't log sim. It doesn't count for much (no multi, total, night, instrument, XC). Sim only. I wouldn't clutter my logbook with sim time.

...BUT...the app. for Delta asks for sim time. UGH. I haven't logged sim since I was in a Frasca.

The time is logged in your company training record.....if you apply to another airline, they'll get that information as part of the PRIA, or you can request a copy of your record and give it to them personally......Personally, I don't log sim time because I'm lazy....if you want to do it, knock yourself out....just don't count it as anything but sim to be safe (I'm not sure of the specifics of logging level d sim time).

The problem with logging airline sim time (I don't) is that the sim instructor needs to sign your logbook, but many of them don't want to for whatever reason. They are probably afraid that if you do poorly at some point and fail out, that you might use your logbook to contradict the company training records. If I were in their shoes, I would feel the need to make EXTREMELY detailed entries in your personal logbook for CYA, and I probably just wouldn't have the time to do that.

If you want to log it, go ahead and ask, it can't hurt.

Any prospective employer is going to know that being employed at a 121 carrier entails a certain amount of sim anyway, and total sim time is not going to be a deal-maker for airline employment anyway.

I think you should always log your sim time at a 121 carrier. That is when you accoplished that training event. Whether it be a type ride or just a prof. check. That is a required training event and should be noted in your logbook.

True your company will keep records of all training, but when being interviewed the person checking your logbook should be able to EASILY look up your PC's, Type rides.

my $.02 worth

This might open up a can of worms, but how would one log instrument time from full motion simulator training? Granted, it's simulated, but you do get credit for the approaches you do, how would you log associated instrument time? In talking with other pilots, some say that it's perfectly fine to log ALL sim time as simulated instrument time. I don't have a good source or reason to argue or agree with this, can anyone help? Thanks.

I log it as sim time, approaches flown, and dual if it was a training event. A PC goes in as sim and approaches flown. I add the sim time, simulated instrument time, and actual to get the instrument time that goes on apps. Airline apps software adds sim time as total time.

Latest resources

Back