Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flywithruss

Rocky Top!
OK, folks, here's one for the group ....

I am being considered for a job as a right-seater on a King Air (200, to be specific) which, as we all know, only requires one pilot per FARs. However, insurance requires two pilots which is where my potential full-time job comes in. So here's the rub ...

How do I log the time?

I am an MEI, so I supposedly could log it all dual given and PIC, though this seems a little odd. Since I'm commercial-instrument-multi, and this is a Part 91 (corporate) operation, I'm qualified as PIC on the airplane, though I'd be designated as SIC as part of the crew brief. Just wondering what the group opinion is on how to log the time so my logbook is as "clean" as possible.

All opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and tail winds ....

R

We have several resident experts on time logging questions here, but allow me a curiosity: how do you get C90, 1900D, and DC9 time at 1000 hours? Can I follow you around for a week? I'd like to make some of those connections...

:)

Wish it did more good ...

The credit (or the blame) goes to my alma mater ... I'm an ERAU grad and, while there, a major airline intern ... Riddle put me through 1900 school, and the airline through DC-9 school. My King Air time was earned by schmoozing the local turbine salesman who decided he liked me enough to throw me in the right seat and let me get some stick time when he was moving airplanes around.

Follow me around if you like ... the best I can do for now is a Bonanza ... but it is a nice Bonanza.

My connections, surprise, surprise, have been quite dormant since 4Q01, for all the obvious reasons.

You're not the only one waiting for the call ....

Tailwinds,

R

Simply having a flight instructor certificate does not make you pilot in command, and does not entitle you to log pilot in command time, except when actually providing instruction. Sitting in the airplane doesn't qualify; you must be providing instruction. You should also keep a proper record of that instruction given.

Acting as SIC for insurance or company purposes does not make you a required crewmember, and does not entitle you to log the time. Do so at your own peril, but not within the legal confines of FAR 61.51.

If the type certification of the aircraft requires a second in command, or the regulations under which the flight is operated require a SIC, then you may log the time as SIC. Operations Specifications requiring a SIC qualify, as does a PIC who is limited to flights with a SIC. Type certification requiring a second crewmember counts. Insurance and company requirements do not.

You may log as PIC all time spent acting as PIC of an aircraft requiring more than one crewmember, as sole manipulator of the controls, or as an authorized instructor (when providing instruction).

On the issue of instruction, you should be prepared to endurse the logbook or training record of each person to whom you provided instruction. If the corporate PIC is prepared to let you sign his logbook as having received instruction from you for the duration of the flight, go right ahead. If you'd feel funny asking him if you could sign his book for the "instruction," then you have your answer; you feel funny because you weren't really providing instruction, and you aren't authorized to log the time as PIC. It's the "smell test."

Good luck!!

I wouldn't log any of it, unless the pic is an instructor and he signs you off while you are the sole manipulator. I had an offer for some time like this, and I did a few hours. I later took it out of my logbook. I wish I never did it, as when you get a job flying for a living, this little bit of time will seem worthless to you. It's not worth the sweating during an interview when you try to explain it to someone. Even if it's legal and proper, you won't feel so confident when your potential future employer asks you about it. I would still go for the ride and learn something, and perhaps this could lead to a better opportunity later on. Good luck to you.

Latest resources

Back