• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

logging safety pilot time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, you don't have to. And it would probably never be questioned, BUT IF IT WERE, and you had the exact same date/time/airplane # logged, then it would help his case.

Vik said:
If a buddy and myself are flying and I'm under the hood, and he's safety, do I need to log the hood time for his logbook's PIC time to be valid?
Why wouldn't you log the simulated instrument time?

Well, I've got access to a Twin Commanche and a buddy of mine and myself are planning on building time in it. A lot of time -- 40 hours per month.

I've been told that if I show up to an interview with 1000 hrs TT / 600 ME and half that ME is safety, they'll discount it or it won't be looked upon favorably.

I'm just trying to find creative, but legal ways to make good use of that Twin Commanche.

I'm really not sure what to think anymore due to all the different opinions I hear. I know legally I have to have the name of the safety pilot in my logbook.

Just trying to see how to proceed from here, and make good use of the twin. We're both making good money, so full time CFIing is not an option. We may do it part time on the weekend, but thats about it.

Vik said:
Well, I've got access to a Twin Commanche and a buddy of mine and myself are planning on building time in it. A lot of time -- 40 hours per month.

I've been told that if I show up to an interview with 1000 hrs TT / 600 ME and half that ME is safety, they'll discount it or it won't be looked upon favorably.

I'm just trying to find creative, but legal ways to make good use of that Twin Commanche.

I'm really not sure what to think anymore due to all the different opinions I hear. I know legally I have to have the name of the safety pilot in my logbook.

Just trying to see how to proceed from here, and make good use of the twin. We're both making good money, so full time CFIing is not an option. We may do it part time on the weekend, but thats about it.
One of you get an MEI. You're problems are solved then.

And I may be wrong about this, because I'm not focusing on getting into the airlines, but if you have the opportunity to fly a twin, fly it, log it, and explain the circumstances later.

Time is time.

Vik said:

This is a recurring issue. You can probably find a bunch of posts on this in different contexts - safety pilot time, the PIC time you may log as sole manipulator of your uncle's 450 HP high altitude, complex, tailwheel they day after you earn your private certificate in a 152, 10 nm cross countries, etc.

Unless you have no need for the particular time, I don't think any of these are reason to avoid logging. All of these times are legitimate to log for FAA Part 61 purposes - to meet the requirements for certificates, ratings, currency and other operational privileges.

But, understandably, employers are not particularly interested in some of this time and will look at you funny if you try to pass it off as legitimate flight experience. Assume you are looking for an experienced bookkeeper for your business and as part of the "financial experience" an applicant listed "cashier at McDonald's"

The most common solution folks have come up with is separate columns. The two generally in vogue are "Part 1 PIC" and "Part 135 cross country". "Part 1 PIC" refers to the general definition of who is =really= the PIC on a flight using the definition in FAR Part 1, but it's really more of a log column of time that you want to show as experience to prospective employers (after all PIC safety pilot time =is= Part 1 PIC). I've seen the breakdown used on resumes and in a recent thread there was a question about a job application that made the differentiation.

When flying as a safety pilot, I not only check for traffic and other potential hazards (i.e. the primary reason for a safety pilot) but I do routinely glance at the instrument panel to make sure everything looks like it should. This includes things like the engine instruments and the static and vacuum instruments (pretty much "everything"). This counts as experience in my book even though I may not have my hand on the yoke and actually be the sole manipulator of the controls. You could have a three axis autopilot and you won't need to have your hand on the controls to be logging the time. By stating this, I do not believe in logging time when I am sitting in the back seat of a plane. In other words, only if I am a required crew member (i.e. safety pilot or SIC).

Last edited:
El Cid Av8or said:
When flying as a safety pilot, I not only check for traffic and other potential hazards (i.e. the primary reason for a safety pilot) but I do routinely glance at the instrument panel to make sure everything looks like it should. This includes things like the engine instruments and the static and vacuum instruments (pretty much "everything"). This counts as experience in my book even though I may not have my hand on the yoke and actually be the sole manipulator of the controls. You could have a three axis autopilot and you won't need to have your hand on the controls to be logging the time. By stating this, I do not believe in logging time when I am sitting in the back seat of a plane. In other words, only if I am a required crew member (i.e. safety pilot or SIC).
I agreed with you fully. I'm not looking to break the regs at all. I've got a twin and there is no reason to cheat at all.

Its those airlines that will tell me that half my logged time is not worth anything b/c it was safety.

Latest resources

Back