Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

saviboy

Hi
I fly as an SIC for a 121 airline. we occasionnaly fly part 91 without Passengers or cargo.
If I am flying pilot on the leg, can I, should I log as PIC
thanks

Last edited:
Yep. you can log it as PIC. If you're not the one who signed for the a/c, you may not be able to count it on some future job apps, but you can log it.

If you have the type rating you may log PIC time when when you are flying, regardless of whether it's 121 or 91.

Whether you should is another question. I think most airlines will not accept that as true PIC time, so that begs the question, why log it if you can't use it? Unless you're short of PIC time for your ATP it won't be of any use.

Personally, I only log PIC time when I actually am the PIC, but that's just me.

A Squared said:
If you have the type rating you may log PIC time when when you are flying, regardless of whether it's 121 or 91.

Whether you should is another question. I think most airlines will not accept that as true PIC time, so that begs the question, why log it if you can't use it? Unless you're short of PIC time for your ATP it won't be of any use.

Personally, I only log PIC time when I actually am the PIC, but that's just me.

Any time i am sole manipulator with the required type I would log it as PIC. Reason is, what if you leave your 121 job to go corporate... the insurance may require so much PIC Jet and insurance only counts what is in your logbook. Log all you can, but on an interview with fedex I would have a clear way of differintiating between the actual PIC and sole manipulator pic.

CAVOK69 said:
Any time i am sole manipulator with the required type I would log it as PIC. Reason is, what if you leave your 121 job to go corporate... the insurance may require so much PIC Jet and insurance only counts what is in your logbook. Log all you can, but on an interview with fedex I would have a clear way of differintiating between the actual PIC and sole manipulator pic.

OK, good point, I hadn't thought of the insurance requirements at a corporate job

So if you're flying as an F/O in a 121 operation basically the SIC, and its my leg, I can log PIC as sole manipulator. Would I also be able to log SIC as well.

Is it possible to log both, albeit each in its own column.

PIC (sole manipulator - as SIC)

or

SIC/PIC (req. SIC and sole manipuator)

NYCPilot said:
So if you're flying as an F/O in a 121 operation basically the SIC, and its my leg, I can log PIC as sole manipulator.

Only if you are typed in the aircraft.

NYCPilot said:
Would I also be able to log SIC as well.

Is it possible to log both, albeit each in its own column.

PIC (sole manipulator - as SIC)

or

SIC/PIC (req. SIC and sole manipuator)

I suppose, but you might run into a accounting nightmare.

Latest resources

Back