Logging PIC please help

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

airspeed

Okay, here is a simple question. Only problem is I cannot find an exact answer in the FAR's. I am an ATP AMEL. I have plenty of time in King Air 200's and today I flew a King Air 300 which requires a type rating. I flew the first leg from the left seat. It was Part 91. My question is am I able to log this as PIC since I acted as such. It says in the regs that you can log PIC for an A/C which you are rated. Okay I have an ATP ane a multi but no BE300 Type. So therefore I am not rated. Would it be SIC? I don't think so cause the BE300 even though it does require a type rating doesn't require 2 pilots. Okay so how the hell do I log this? I also have a few type ratings, one in the Hawker. Now my second question. Say I go for a Lear type and do the whole thing in the A/C not a sim for the type. Can I log it as PIC? If I can and thats the case can I log the flight I did today as PIC in the BE300 even though we did no training? Thanks alot.

NO Type rating= NO PIC time can be logged since to "act" as PIC in the aircraft you do need to have a type rating-

I don't think you can log SIC time either since you are not checked out as a 135 SIC and the aircraft is single pilot type certificated-

Only way I can imagine to log this flight time would be to log it as instruction recieved IF other pilot has his MEI and is willing to do this.

3 5 0

As for the King Air, I would recommend you log it as dual received. You definately may not log it as PIC, as you are not rated in the a/c. Stick-wiggling does not meet the definition of "acting as PIC".

As to the question of adding a new type for the Lear. You may not log the training you receive as PIC, again you are not rated in the a/c. Once you succesfully complete the training, pass the checkride, and satisfy any limitation requirements (ref. 8400-10 or relevant HBATs) and complete required IOE/SOE, you may then log the time as PIC. Until then, log it as dual received.

All this being said, it is your logbook to do with what you will.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
airspeed said:
Okay, here is a simple question. Only problem is I cannot find an exact answer in the FAR's. I am an ATP AMEL. I have plenty of time in King Air 200's and today I flew a King Air 300 which requires a type rating. I flew the first leg from the left seat. It was Part 91. My question is am I able to log this as PIC since I acted as such. It says in the regs that you can log PIC for an A/C which you are rated. Okay I have an ATP ane a multi but no BE300 Type. So therefore I am not rated. Would it be SIC? I don't think so cause the BE300 even though it does require a type rating doesn't require 2 pilots. Okay so how the hell do I log this? I also have a few type ratings, one in the Hawker. Now my second question. Say I go for a Lear type and do the whole thing in the A/C not a sim for the type. Can I log it as PIC? If I can and thats the case can I log the flight I did today as PIC in the BE300 even though we did no training? Thanks alot.

My take and My take ONLY........Dual received for both. But is the King Air over 12,500 pounds. Didnt realize she was such a bug girl. Anyway, if you flew the 300 on a leg in which the operation did not require 2 pilots (ie 135 or such) and you are not typed and the "captain" was an ATP then dual recieved is the way to go.

Just my opinion. Im just glad you didnt open the can of worms about acting as PIC and logging of PIC!!!

I pretty much agree with what's been said:

You can't log PIC cause you're not "appropriately rated"

You can't log SIC 'cause you're not needed.

Dual received would be about the only category you could fit it into.

I guess that i'm curious why a pilot with 5000 hours, a jet type, plenty of Be200 time and so on would worry about making sure you got credit for a single flight. Not questioning your qualifications, just wondering what the story is, you trying to log time in type for insurance mins?

yeah the 300 and 350 are over 12.5, there's even a version of the 200 which can be operated over 12.5. Apparently there *IS* a be200 type rating.

ASquared,

As a side note on the 12,500 issue. My knowledge is in the SA226/227. The is an STC available for the SA226 which allows it to be operated over 12,500 (orig MGTOW cert). I believe the STC allows it to be operated at 13,100. My understanding, and it has been a while, is that the STC for the higher MTOW does not change the original type certificate for purposes of crew compliment or qualifications. Hence the 13,100 STC'd version of the 226 does not require a type rating, even though it is a SFAR 23 a/c in excess of 12,500. I wonder if the same applies to the heavier version of the B200.

Idle curiousity. Any of you King Air fellas out there shed any light on this one for us.

Logging the King Air Time

Sorry, although many people regard the ATP as being the Ph.D. of aviation, unless you have the type on it you cannot log it as PIC. It doesn't matter from which seat you flew it. You might be able to log it as dual received if the PIC was a current MEI, but . . .

I have to agree with A Squared. Unless you need the time for insurance, why, with your quals, do you care if you log it at all? Someone like me with four hours of turbine to his name would be thinking of every creative, legal way to put it in the logbook, but why you? Just curious . . . .

Bottom line... To fly an airplane that requires a Type Rating:

To log PIC time you need that specific Type Rating.

To log it as SIC, it must require an SIC and you must be trained as an SIC in that airplane in compliance with the operator's training program.

If you are recieving instruction the airplane, then you log it as Dual Received which requires the PIC's instructor signature.

If none of the above conditions exist, you may not "wiggle the stick".:p

There may be execptions for experimental aircraft but I'm too lazy to look them up.

Last edited:
Re: Logging the King Air Time

bobbysamd said:
I have to agree with A Squared. Unless you need the time for insurance, why, with your quals, do you care if you log it at all? Someone like me with four hours of turbine to his name would be thinking of every creative, legal way to put it in the logbook, but why you? Just curious . . . .

I can think of a practical reason... as in my own case I haven't flown in over three months as a result of being furloughed and one may want to show some "activity" in their logbook for the the sake of staying current.

Latest resources

Back