Logging of PIC/SIC time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FORE LEFT

I'm wondering how most of you in the 91 Corporate world log PIC/SIC time. If you have 2 typed Captains who logs PIC? Do you log PIC only when you are pilot flying, and SIC when Pilot not flying? Or do you log PIC all the time? I've been logging PIC when flying and SIC when i'm pilot not flying. Thanks

When flying with another CA, I log PIC when I'm flying, SIC when I'm when Im not. know a lot of guys that log it all as PIC though.

Last edited:
It depends on whether you are talking about FAR Part 1 or Part 61. The way our company schedules flights, one pilot is the assigned PIC for the entire flight. Both pilots split the legs for this flight, however only one has the final authority and signs for the aircraft. This person would be the PIC as per FAR Part 1, even if they are the non-flying pilot. The flying pilot, in this case, can only log PIC under Part 61.

If the airlines is your goal, you should be able to differentiate in your logbook which is which.

Rythm3 is right. There is only one PIC regardless of who is the sole manipulator of the controls.

In Part 61 there are statements such as a commercial pilot may log PIC for the time the pilot manipulates the controls in an aircraft that the pilot is rated for and the operations being conducted, however, Part 61 only speaks to Log Books to demonstrate the aeronautical experience required for the issuance of a certificate or rating issued under the part or for the demonstration of recency of experience.

Outside of FAR 61 requirements, you can put anything in your log book you want to.

TransMach

It depends on whether you are talking about FAR Part 1 or Part 61. The way our company schedules flights, one pilot is the assigned PIC for the entire flight. Both pilots split the legs for this flight, however only one has the final authority and signs for the aircraft. This person would be the PIC as per FAR Part 1, even if they are the non-flying pilot. The flying pilot, in this case, can only log PIC under Part 61.

If the airlines is your goal, you should be able to differentiate in your logbook which is which.

We split the legs evenly, regardless of who is signing for the aircraft. All of us are Captains and since I don't care anymore, I just split the total block times for the trip.

Just curious how this applies to insurance requirements. I'm a designated SIC at my company but I have a type rating (not SIC) in the aircraft so I log my legs as PF in a separate column in my logbook as Part 61 PIC. If I were to apply for a job that requires X amount of PIC in the aircraft for insurance would this time qualify or do they usually want Part 1 signed for the aircraft PIC only?

We very seldom fly with other captains as we have FO's, but maybe a few times a year we fly with another captain.

Our manual addresses this as follows:

One pilot qualified as a pilot‐in‐command must be designated as Commander for a particular flight or series of flights. If 2 captains are assigned to a flight, either may operate as Commander for a particular sector, provided that the rules of seat occupancy are complied with. The senior captain may decide who will operate which sectors, with the change in command occurring on signing of the Technical Log.

In other words, two captains flying, whoever signs the tech log is the PIC. That's how I differentiate between logging PIC vs. SIC when paired with another captain.

Latest resources

Back