Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

supsup

waiting
My friend and I are both MEI's and have decided to split time in a comanche and seneca. I've heard stories in the past that potential employeers might frown upon two MEI's giving each other dual. Both of us are proficient in the comanche and plan on one of us logging safety pilot and the other simulated hood. I have no experience in the seneca so we plan to log dual given and instruction received until i meet the fbo's insurance requirement for solo flight. Does anyone have any opinions on the legality or ethics of what we plan to do? Our goal is to gain proficiency and make ourselves more marketable for jobs.

supsup

Sup,

If I get your drift, you're asking if you can sign each other off in order to log flight time. You're asking about time building, and you need to be building experience. It's not the same thing. The difference between the two can be as little as having a game plan and going out to work the airplane, intead of simply riding to log time.

If you intend to operate under simulated instrument flight with a safety pilot, the fact that either of you holds a flight instructor certificate isn't relevant. You can both log pilot in command time at the same time, regardless of your instructor certificates.

In order to do this, the safety pilot must be the acting pilot in command, and can log the time as PIC under 61.51(e)(1)(iii). He or she may also log time as PIC when acting as an authorized instructor, under 61.51(e)(3).

If you are rated in the airplane (category and class), you may log all time spent as sole manipulator of the controls as pilot in command under 61.51(e)(1)(i). You may elect to log instruction received, but you do not need to do so. If the instruction is toward a certificate or rating, it must be logged. If your friend is indeed providing instruction to you, then he must endorse your logbook or training record. However, you may still log the time as pilot in command if rated in the airplane.

Nobody is going to frown on receiving instruction, but you sound as though you're looking for a loophole to log time, rather than intending to receive bonifide instruction. There is nothing wrong with being a flight instructor and receiving instruction; nobody will fault you for this. You may be faulted for not knowing the regulations which you are required to teach, however. Therefore, now is a good time to dig into your books and review Part 61. Good luck!

Let me clarify my intentions. I'm not looking for loopholes but opinions about what a potential employeer might think. As i stated before, "Our goal is to gain proficiency and make ourselves more marketable for jobs." I'm very confident that what were doing is legal i'm just interested in anyone's opinions on this from a potential employeers perspective. I apoligize for not being clear in my original post. Thanks for responding avbug.

supsup

Bottom line is log any thing you want. Just make sure you can answer questions about it if confronted in an interview.:rolleyes:

Paying-for multi time

I'd say employers and interviewers would much prefer to see the time built through employment. Not to compare it to you-know-what, but nearly anyone with a bankroll can pay for time in nearly anything. It's similar to the old story about of how the rich kid who couldn't get a job flew dad's Baron around to build multi time.

Just my .02.

What multi time I have I gained mostly by teaching ME students, but on occasion, I would split time with another instructor. We would not do it as instructors, but as safety pilot and sole manuipualtor as avbug mentioned. There is nothing shady or unethical about it. Be sure that you aren't sleeping in the other seat as the safety pilot. Be an active crewmember, observe what your buddy is doing and keep your eyes out the window. Run checklists for your buddy when appropriate.

The airlines will certainly not frown upon this.

Well, some kids do have rich dads, and they will buy them a Baron to fly around. I had a friend who's dad was a captain at NWA, and he sold a mooney just to buy a Baron for this purpose. He was an instructor, and I flew with him some to build time. I was rated in the aircraft, so we didnt' do any instructing. I was just flying in IMC on a long cross country with a more experienced pilot. I also instructed in twins, and none of my employers have ever asked me about either.

Hope this helps, and good luck to you.

Latest resources

Back