logging Level D simulator time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

getonit

I have the opportunity to fly right seat in a Level D simulator for training purposes. My question is can I legitimately log the ME turbine, night time, and when I am manipulating the controls the instrument time and approaches? I have a ME rating and am current and am familiar with the airplane as per 61.55. Looking for some common sense answers.
Thanks.

There is no aircraft, ME, night or Instrument time here. It is simulator time (simulated aircraft, me, night, instrument. It is good for currency/proficiency requirements and checkrides but it doesn't go the the bottom line for acquiring hrs. Take it for its real value - an education experience.

If it is a level D sim you can log ME, Inst, and Sim/FTD time. If you have a sim colum, put the time there. You cannot log TT however. There is nothing wrong with logging sim time. I know guys that logged 30+ hours in level D sims just for the multi time, and no questions where asked when they went for job interviews with airlines.

If you log it as simulator and not total, your times won't check out

Total = (day+night+simulator)

-or-

Total = (SEL+MEL+Glider/whatever+Simulator)

This is an easy airline interview way of checking for possible errors/sloppiness and should bring up a closer review of the logbook (not good).

But, it's your logbook....enjoy!

FlyChicaga is right ...

FlyChicaga is absolutely right ... kudos. Simulator time would not be included in total time whether it is a full-motion Level D or a Frasca (and I have both in my book). Do log the approaches (which count toward IFR currency) and the landings (which count toward landing currency if the sim is approved for landings ... generally Level C or D), but remember that one can not obtain flight time strapped to a hydraulic box strapped to the ground.

Certain airlines, and many insurance companies, will allow the time to be included in total time, multi time, turbine time, etc. Personally, I don't record it as such in my logbook. However, I know exactly what it is from reviewing the "simulator" entries in my logbook, and I can readily do the necessary math should any future insurer or employer care to know.

CVS also put the right point on it ... it is outstanding experience, any way you slice it. Could I fly an actual DC-9 based on my 20 hours in a Level C simulator? Maybe. Am I a better overall pilot for having had the experience, in any case? Absolutely.

Tailwinds, y'all ...

R

Latest resources

Back