• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fly Astar Jets

Fly ATI Jets
Hey Peeps,

Going to start doing IRO time. How is it logged? TT in aircraft? Time in seat only? Time making coffee & passing out the catering???

Also, I use APDL logbook. Are there any special considerations setting it up to log IRO time?

TIA, FAJ

Hey Peeps,

Going to start doing IRO time. How is it logged? TT in aircraft? Time in seat only? Time making coffee & passing out the catering???

Also, I use APDL logbook. Are there any special considerations setting it up to log IRO time?

TIA, FAJ

Who cares... It's worthless time

If you need the time I'd log it! If you don't it doesn't matter.

But then I've never been a bunkie.

Gup

You need three people to fly 12 hours or less so not one person is in the seat more than 8 hours.

Take the total time multiply it by 2 and then divide it by three. That number you can log.

Example. Flight is 12 hours long. 12x2=24. 24/3=8. That day on the twelve hour flight the IRO logs only 8 hours. Thus you flew in each seat for 4 hours.

That is the way the regs were set up.

You can't log time while you are in the bunk asleep. I know people do it, but the FAR's say you can't. If you are IRO, you can only log PIC time if their is a notation in the logbook making you PIC. Otherwise you are SIC with the knowledge that you may have to wake the Captain up if he/she is needed for an emergency.

I just put a column in my log book, labeled it "IRO" and don't add it to anything else. I can always go back and add it in later if I need to, with adjustments.

Sooo here's one....

Years ago while in the process of flunking my SWA interview I was asked by the interviewer about PIC/other time from flying military heavies....

I explained that when I was in command of the mission, ALL time was listed as PIC but when not in command I did not list "other" time anywhere on the app.

He was a former RJ Captain in a previoud life. Despite how gently I tried to explain the concept he couldn't grasp it.

When on break, as PIC, I am still in command. The same applied at a legacy carrier on long haul. Who is PIC when the Captain is on break? Now on a 767, I don'tlogPIC when the boss is napping...

Touchy subject...

Latest resources

Back