Logging FE/SO time?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UM#1

for those of you who have been on the panel, how have you logged the time in your log book? did you include it in your total time?

FE time is logged in my book as just that: FE time. That's all that it's good for, period. You are allowed to add one third of it, up to 500 hours, to your total time for the purpose of meeting the requirements of a certificate or rating. But that's it.

So if you ride side-saddle in a B727 that does 5.3 hours of multi engine turbine XC at night, all you get to log is 5.3 hours of FE. I wish that weren't the case, but unfortunately it is. Engineers are a dying breed, and the ticket isn't really worth much beyond that 3rd seat.

After talking to some old timers that retire prior to 2000. They advised me to log F/E time as F/E time and Total time. If a company doesnt want you to included F/E time they will tell you and the flight time grid will usually take care of that.
Let the flamming begin.

Thedude said:
After talking to some old timers that retire prior to 2000. They advised me to log F/E time as F/E time and Total time. If a company doesnt want you to included F/E time they will tell you and the flight time grid will usually take care of that.
Let the flamming begin.

It's flaming. Don't log FE time with your total time. FEs aren't pilots. It's all seperate. A prospective employer won't like it if you do.

I have almost 1000hrs as an F/E and the compaines that I have interviewed with did not have a problem with it being logged as total time. Like I said before, that is why the flight time grid is used.

it is flight time. Req. crew member. It counts twd total time but it is not pilot time.. not multi- inst. or xc.log it under total duration of flight.
it might mean nothing to some. but your resume will break down the time.

The pilot I work with was an FE in his previous job. He did not log any of that time at all. He said he didn't see the need since the company kept track of the records and he could print out the monthly sheets.

If I'd have done the FE gig I'd have prly done the same. Sorta like logging FA time or kissing your sister....

Actually, the latter...oh, never mind...

The only record I have of my FE time is my USAF Flight Records Folder. My pilot time is the only thing in my logbook. However, I do combine the two and list it as my total flight time (like the sidebar here) on my resume. I then break it out from there. Several operators out there realize the value of flight crew experience beyond being a yoke actuator...

Latest resources

Back