Logging Approaches

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Logging approaches

We had a similar discussion on this issue about four months ago. Here is a link to that discussion.

The long and short of it is you can certainly write up the approaches your student executed in your logbook, if you want (I used to), but you cannot use said approaches for your own instrument currency.

Finally, the FAA FAQ, while entertaining and semi-informative, is not black-letter law. It seems to be agreed that FAA General Counsel opinions are regarded as legal authority on regulations interpretations.

Last edited:
Re: Logging approaches

bobbysamd said:
The long and short of it is you can certainly write up the approaches your student executed in your logbook, if you want (I used to), but you cannot use said approaches for your own instrument currency.
Actually, the long and ths short of it is that whether you can log the approaches for currency (there really isn't any other legitimate purpose for logging them) it's an open question with two opposing but equally valid viewpoints.

Logging approaches v. counting approaches for instrument currency

As far as counting approaches for instrument currency purposes, 14 CFR 61.57(c)(1)(i) is dispositive:

(c) Instrument experience. Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command under IFR or in weather conditions less than the minimums prescribed for VFR, unless within the preceding 6 calendar months, that person has:

(1) For the purpose of obtaining instrument experience in an aircraft . . . performed and logged under actual or simulated instrument conditions either in flight in the appropriate category of aircraft for the instrument privileges sought or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of the aircraft category for the instrument privileges sought --

(i) At least six instrument approaches . . . .

(emphasis added)

You can log, or not log, anything you want. You must execute the approaches yourself for them to count toward your personal instrument currency.

Last edited:
Law is law, and I abide by that. However, it must be said that teaching someone to fly an approach in actual IMC requires twice the proficiency as simply doing it yourself.

Agreed. No one has ever accused a govt. operation of always making sense.

You're right. How nonsensical of the government to expect you to actually fly the approaches you take credit for...especially when it's just for currency. I think you should lobby the point...make 'em take out all the requirements to stay current. After all, who needs it, and isn't it expensive? Sure it is! And to think, they actually want you to stay current, and to fly the approaches yourself. How ridiculous is that? I swear. Great onionballs, what will they think of next? If somebody doesn't put a stop to it, they'll want you to be proficient at landings, next, and you already know right where that's going to lead.

Soon they'll be expecting current medical certificates, and some kind of flight review every couple of years or so. And who knows whee it's gonna end?

Re: Logging approaches v. counting approaches for instrument currency

bobbysamd said:
(1) For the purpose of obtaining instrument experience in an aircraft . . . performed and logged under actual or simulated instrument conditions either in flight in the appropriate category of aircraft
That doesn't challenge the reasonability of the opposing viewpoint. The same regulation uses the phrase "sole manipulator of the controls" four times and then simply says "performed" for the approaches. 61.55, dealing with SIC privileges. uses the phrasing "performed...as sole manipulator". So "perform" and "sole manipulator" are not synonymous. My only problem is that I'm not sure what "performed" =does= mean.

The proficiency arguments don't impress me. The currency regulations have almost nothing to do with proficiency. I really don't think that a pilot is =proficient= to take his family on a long night cross country when the only night flight experience he's had in the past 7 years is the 0.5 he put on the Hobbs the evening before when doing 3 stop and goes at the home field.

Besides, who's more proficient? The pilot who maintains instrument currency by watching his autopilot fly the exact same coupled approach again and again or the CFII who regularly teaches in IMC?

labbats said:
Law is law, and I abide by that. However, it must be said that teaching someone to fly an approach in actual IMC requires twice the proficiency as simply doing it yourself.
Just don't make the error of assuming that the "law" about logging approaches is as clear as some folks say it is.

Lynch has been wrong more than once. He'll be wrong again. He may well be wrong about this one. But he may not.

(This topic is =way= more fun than the usual "can I log PIC if my dog flied the airplane ones. Brings out even more zealots who will try to convince your that their personal interpretation is the only one. :))

Last edited:
My general rule is that if it's questionable, then I won't log it. When an interviewer asks me how accurate my log book is, I know I can look them in the eye and say it's about 95% accurate. There are probably some approaches and landings I've performed that did not get logged. There is certainly a little bit of actual IMC time that didn't get logged as I usually make my estimates on the conservative side for that.

Nothing will get you thrown out of an interview quicker than a having them question the validity of your logbook.

Instrument proficiency v. performance

midlifeflyer said:
Besides, who's more proficient? The pilot who maintains instrument currency by watching his autopilot fly the exact same coupled approach again and again or the CFII who regularly teaches in IMC?
Neither. That's why 14 CFR 61.57(c)(1)(i), above, requires one to actually perform the approaches. The definition of "perform," standing alone and in the context and scope of this reg, should be clear to any reasonable person or semanticist. Just the same, here is a dictionary definition:

per·form [ pər fáwrm ] (past per·formed, past participle per·formed, present participle per·form·ing, 3rd person present singular per·forms)

verb

1. transitive verb accomplish: to carry out an action or accomplish a task
*the surgeon who performed the operation

If someone applied the rationale that the regs permit a flight instructor to count all the instrument approaches performed by his/her students as his/her own along with the agreed-upon and clear regulation that the instructor can count his/her students' actual instrument time, than, conceivably, an instrument instructor who is busy would be perpetually current without ever having his/her hands on the controls or not having taken a recent IPC, proficency notwithstanding!

Applying this to a practical situation, your student is in IMC performing an approach. It is somewhat turbulent on the way down and your student starts to suffer from spatial disorientation. The airplane is getting away from the student and an unsafe situation is developing. You, who have not actually performed an approach since G-d knows when, must put things right. Most people generally lose their cross-check if they don't keep it up. Now, the instructor must reorient the airplane, but he/she is not proficient because of inactivity. Did the rationale above contemplate this situation? No. But 14 CFR 61.57 did.
Originally posted by Avbug
How nonsensical of the government to expect you to actually fly the approaches you take credit for...especially when it's just for currency.
Really. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back