Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fly4unclesam

All,

I know that there has been a lot said on this forum about logbooks in the past and I am trying to slowly look through it. Just looking for some current guidance from folks who have interviewed recently. Here is my situation:

I am a military pilot who also has about 2000 hours of civil time. I did most of my civilian flying before I started flying for the USAF, although I still instruct and fly light aircraft for fun now. I started flying back when I was 15 and have not always done the best job of keeping a neat and professional looking logbook. I have used whiteout throughout my logbook (especially when I was younger) and have also discovered some errors along the way that I had to go back in and fix.

Needless to say, if I knew then what I know now I would have been more careful but I am trying to clean it up the best that I can. I am currently going through and inputing all my time into LogbookPro...line by line. At least I will be able to give an interviewer and nice looking printout, backed up by the paper. Should I also transcribe all my flights into a new paper logbook? Is there any benefit to closing out my old logbook, say as of 12/05 and starting a new one as of 01/06 so that I can show a "new start and commitment"? My old logbook is a nice pro logbook with lots of room still left in it and if I got a new logboook, I would want to get the same kind.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations based on what they have seen lately. I know that my logbook is 100% accurate, but the neatness is what worries me. Any thoughts?

I appreciate it.

fly4unclesam said:
All,

I know that there has been a lot said on this forum about logbooks in the past and I am trying to slowly look through it. Just looking for some current guidance from folks who have interviewed recently. Here is my situation:

I am a military pilot who also has about 2000 hours of civil time. I did most of my civilian flying before I started flying for the USAF, although I still instruct and fly light aircraft for fun now. I started flying back when I was 15 and have not always done the best job of keeping a neat and professional looking logbook. I have used whiteout throughout my logbook (especially when I was younger) and have also discovered some errors along the way that I had to go back in and fix.

Needless to say, if I knew then what I know now I would have been more careful but I am trying to clean it up the best that I can. I am currently going through and inputing all my time into LogbookPro...line by line. At least I will be able to give an interviewer and nice looking printout, backed up by the paper. Should I also transcribe all my flights into a new paper logbook? Is there any benefit to closing out my old logbook, say as of 12/05 and starting a new one as of 01/06 so that I can show a "new start and commitment"? My old logbook is a nice pro logbook with lots of room still left in it and if I got a new logboook, I would want to get the same kind.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations based on what they have seen lately. I know that my logbook is 100% accurate, but the neatness is what worries me. Any thoughts?

I appreciate it.
First off there is no one right answer, but I can tell you how I did it, and what I would recommend for you.

I would continue doing what you have started which is transcribing all your flights into Logbook Pro. While tedious it solves a few problems. First you will be able to print out your entire log and it will look neat and professional compared to what you admit is a less than elegant previous log. Second having all your time in Logbook Pro allows the program to create charts and graphs of your time and break it down into millions of ways for you, your future company etc.

I would *not* rewrite the previous logbook by hand into a new logbook. You should think of Logbook Pro as your new and only logbook going forward. You will have to bring your old log to any interview to back up your times that Logbook Pro shows, but likely your interviewer will focus on the new and easy to read log. Having a second repeat of the old log written by hand is redunant and no matter how carefully you do it, it still won't look as nice as what Logbook Pro can create.

So.... enter all your times in Logbook Pro. Going forward use Logbook Pro excuslively. Bring your old logbook to any interview but demonstrate to your interviewer that they can focus on the Logbook Pro version because it contains a complete and accurate summary of your flying since day 1.

Worked for me. :)

I think people get way too hung up on their logbook(s) for interviews. The reality is, in all the interviews I've ever done, the longest anyone has gone over my books is about a minute. In a couple of interviews they didn't even bother. In my opinion, they could care less whether your times are in black or blue ink with perfect block letters or in logbook pro etc., etc. Just make sure your times make sense and you'll be fine.

"I know that my logbook is 100% accurate, but the neatness is what worries me."

This is the key point: your logbooks are accurate. I agree with Saabslime. I think people go overboard with the whole logbook thing. Is it accurate? Is it legible? Does it make sense? As far as being sloppy when you first started, who cares? You were 15! Teenagers are supposed to be sloppy. I think your logbook will be fine just the way it is.

I can't disagree with Saabslime or Caveman... there is every likehood that an interviewer won't mind a sloppy log, in particular from years ago as long as the times make sense. THAT SAID... I like many simply wanted to make 100% sure that logbooks weren't an issue going into an interview for a job which I have every hope will be my last and the funding for my family and our future. Having a neat Logbook printed by Logbook Pro gave me just a bit more piece of mind that I was doing everything I possibly could to put my best foot forward. Did it help me? I have no idea but the interviewer seemed very impressed by the logbook (in a way which implied it was neater than most he sees) and I ended up getting hired. Related... doubtful, but anything which impresses an interviewer is just one more thing towards winning them over.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back