• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Logbooks and Majors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Question - I've never used an electronic logbook before. Is there a function built in it to keep track of 121 flight/duty/rest time requirement? Can it import pairings so that it can look forward as well as look back for legality checking purpose? These two function would really make it worthwhile for me.

For my last interview, had to explain my system to the interviewers. I brought the 'Fisher Price - My First Logbook' (*not really from Fisher Price, but it was my first) that had my first introductory ride up to my last flight before starting as a flight instructor, a Jepp 'Master' logbook with each of my flight as a CFI though my 1st commuter job, and a second Jepp book with one entry per trip from my time at Eagle. Also, after my 1st logbook, I never added the pages at the bottom. I provided a spreadsheet that had the columns from the logbook with one page per line and the total at the bottom. That way, if I ever found a mistake, I didn't have to go white out crazy. Also, I brought my stack of red books in case they had a question about any of my trips. Finally, Sabre kept a total broken down by aircraft and seat, so I brought 3 pages that showed the company provided info in case they thought I padded my time with a pencil.

I laid them all all out and explained my record keeping system and they looked though it for about two minutes before seeming totally satisfied.

I started using Logbook Pro about 6 years ago. At the start, I decided to type in every single entry from day 1 (comments and all). At the time I had 5,000 hours. Took about 30 days to get it all in (1-2 hours a day). But when it came time to interview at DAL, it really came in handy. The online application (airline apps) wanted to know lots of funny things like "how much night cross country do you have in a c-172" (or any other a/c for that matter).

Having it all in digital format made finding those numbers a breeze. It would have taken weeks to get that app filled out going through the logbook and adding up all the different parameters airline apps wanted to know. But with everything in a computer logbook I was able to get everything done in about an hour! Highly recommend typing it all in.

PS - after updating your logbook, back it up and then send yourself the backup file via email. I always have my latest logbook backup file tucked away in a gmail folder...just in case.

the same thing can be accomplished by creating one line (date of the last flight) per aircraft flown with all of that information. Your logbook will not show all your separate flights but can have all your XC, dual given, dual received, night-etc I have already spent hours and hours just entering that information in. With work, wife, and two young kids it is hard to sit down and do anything for 1-2 hours a day-let alone data entry.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back