Logbook Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jaybird

I finally finished my first logbook a few weeks ago, the small kind with 13 entries per page. My question is what kind of logbook should I get next, the same small kind, or the big textbook looking one even though the biggest plane I will fly in the next year or so will be a Ce 310?

Also for anybody who uses an electronic logbook in addition to a paper one, I'm just about finished filling my entries in the electronic one and the numbers are'nt adding up right. For anyone with experience would it look bad at an interview if you show up with two differant totals even if they are only a few hours apart?

Mr. Jaybird,

It doesn't matter which paper style you get next, just get what you like. You may want to step up to one that holds a little more info and has more pages for round two! :)

Which electronic logbook are you using?

Most likely, but not always, your electronic logbook is going to be correct. If you are using Logbook Pro, you can do date filtered reports or use the Analyzer (date filtered) and have it match that of your starting point to the last date on a specific page in your paper log and help track down an error, at least find where the start to diverge.

Hope this helps you. Help Mark out and click his Flightinfostore.com link at the top left and order your next paper logbook there.

For your second question first, get the logs balanced. Go back and re-add, and correct the logbook. You can make it simple with little hoopla if you simply make a one-line entry just as if you were logging a flight, and include the corrections. Make a note in the comments section what pages the corrections refer to. Then put plus or minus values for each category or classification of time you log. When the page is filled out, it will hardly be noticable, but the totals at the bottom of the page will be accurate and complete. It's far better to correct errors this way than one-lining out the totals at the bottom and scribbling in a new time.

If you'll be flying a lot, go for the bigger logbook. When I finished my first logbook, I got a large one next. It took 13 years to fill that logbook, and it nearly fell apart over the years. Also, the larger logbooks tend to have less support due to the length, and it affects the binding more over time. If you can keep the log in one place and only open it for entries, it's probably not such a big deal. However, as time goes on, the potential for abuse and wear increases.

On the other hand, you have less logs to keep track of if you use a bigger logbook.

Both the Sporties and Jepp professional logs are good. My present logbook is the Jepp. They supply a little piece of foil to emboss your name on the cover, but it never looks good. If you're going to do that, for what it's worth, take it to a book shop and have it done for a couple of bucks. It looks much more professional.

I quit totaling my paper logs a long time ago. I still log each flight on paper, but only total electronically. That way if I do have to go back and fix something, there are no totals to be affected.

Another logbook question, when an institution (in this case a university) wants a photocopy of your "first and last logbook pages," do they mean of the logbook you are presently in? Or do they really want volume #1?

My first logbook was a disaster due to my instructor whiting out entries and correcting mistakes. I got a new logbook after all of my training and I have used it for all of my flights since then. The question I have is that I total in pencil in case there is a mistake I can just erase and correct, but the entries are in black ink. Does this matter? I would hate to show up at an interview someday and have that be unsat.

I had a large "professional" logbook and due to abuse the binding starting falling apart from the beginning. I ended up buying a couple of small ones and transfered my times to those. I am about to finish up my third small logbook and not sure if I should transfer to a "professional" logbook again(and be careful to treat it better) or stick with a small one.
QUESTION#1: DOES IT MATTER?
20yrs from now I can hear the UAL interviewer say" How many of these little things do you have?"
QUESTION#2: Which professional logbook is best? ASA or Jepp?

Logbooks

My last two logbooks were the Jepp Professional books. It probably doesn't matter if you use the little "student" books or the so-called "professional" books. Advantages of the professional book are they typically include the columns you're likely to need after training, such as multi time, instructing time, instrument time, actual time, etc. They also have more blank pages in the back for notes and comments, which help for record-keeping, such as students you sign off for practicals. The Jepp books have those nice pre-printed squares for signoffs for various certificates and ratings, BFRs and ICCs, and blanks for other endorsements. These help keep your records organized.

It is important that your logbook(s) balance, something like double-entry bookkeeping. It might be worth it to purchase a cheap adding machine/calculator that prints tape. Spruce up your logbook and ensure WITHOUT FAIL that the totals balance and write them in ink before an interview.

I took the "first and last" question to mean they want the first page of your first-ever logbook that shows your first flight and your most current page.

I would be very careful about transferring info from dilapidated logbooks to fresh logbooks because the old books might have entries that are not in your handwriting and/or have other persons' signatures. Maybe you can get the worn books rebound or something.

I think what happens with logbooks falling apart is people tend to take them along when they go back and forth from the airport, pull them out of flight bags and write in them. Of course, you need to have your logbook at hand so your instructor can write in your duals. After I started working I stopped taking my logbooks to the job and put them away at home. I would keep notes of my flights that day and fill in my logbook when I got home. Seemed to minimize wear. I would NOT keep a logbook at work, ever.

I would opine that it is more important that your logbooks prove continuity, and exhibit accuracy and neatness. I can imagine some UAL (or other airline) conehead asking why you chose little logbooks over big logbooks, but all you have to say is you found it easier to record your flight activity in little books. To each, his own. These coneheads interview pilots with all kinds of records and even manage to hire a few of them.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back