• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Logbook Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is what I wasn't sure about. I didn't receive a entry for the knowledge test, it was done in a prep book. If you look at 61.51 about Pilot Logbooks it says nothing of endorsing the logbook for the knowledge test, but in 61.103 (as you have pointed it) it is made out to sound that this must be there and can be the only place. So which is it?

14 CF 61.51 discusses logging of flight time, not endorsements required by other regulations...so you're looking in the wrong regulation. 61.103(d) addresses the endorsement required for your knowledge exam, and it states:

§ 61.103 Eligibility requirements: General.
To be eligible for a private pilot certificate, a person must:

(d) Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who:

(1) Conducted the training or reviewed the person's home study on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed in § 61.105(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought; and

(2) Certified that the person is prepared for the required knowledge test.

It is this requirement which sets forth the requirement to have a logbook endorsement, not any found in 61.51. Which is it, you ask? It's the regulation that sets the requirement, not the regulation that has nothing to do with it. Look at 61.103(b), because this is where the requirement is found.

Also, I was asking more about which time you don't need to log after your PPL. Such as you don't need to log solo time, and if you do, what are the circumstances; or, what flight time needs to be logged (and like you said, only flight time that is meant for aeronautical experience or currency).

This has been answered here several times now, and is spelled out in the regulation, but in a nutshell (again) you need to log that time required to show compliance with the regulation for the purposes of recency of experience (currency), any required training, endorsements required by the regulation, and to demonstrate the experience requirements for any certificate, rating, or privilege. Beyond that, you aren't required to log your time.

Is there a particular reason you want to know what you're not required to log...a reason you wouldn't want to log your experience?

Thank you for clearing that up. No reason in particular. I just want to know in case the examiner asks me about logbooks and what needs to be logged and what doesn't necessarily have to.

Latest resources

Back