logbook question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

kasic

i am interested in gettin on with flight options in the future. but i am a little unsure on how i can log the SIC time in the kingair 200 which does not require and SIC. And since flight options is part 91 how can i legally log that time.

i have an faa interpretation stating that a 91 operation that requires an SIC in an airdraft certified for 1 pilot does not mean the copilot can log SIC even if the company ops specs call for a copilot.

i have looked very closely at the regs and i cant figure out a way to be able to log SIC unless flight options has a 135 ticket and operates under 135 rules.

any ideas or comments please...

do yourself a favor and do not log SIC time in a single pilot airplane, it just looks HOKEY.
Concentrate instead on just getting a PIC check by your company (even PT 91 does this) and then log what you fly as PIC!!!
There are lots of threads about this logging of SIC time in King Airs, most people agree....just dont do it.

I would like to read your 'FAA' interpretation that states you can not log SIC in a SP (capable) aircraft even when the aircraft doesn't meet SP criteria.

OPSPEC is a term traditionally reserved for FAR 135/121 carriers. While a company may have 'company rules' they are not labeled with the traditional term OPSPEC.

As was said above, the interviewer(s) have to know the rules intimately to determine the 'legality' of your flight time.

Now ... on to an example ... We'll use the BE-200 ...

Under FAR 91, there is no need for a SIC under any circumstances if the aircraft and PIC meet the the SP certification standards. Company OPSEPEC (which in this context is a misnomer) have absolutely no bearing on the logging of flight time; FAR 61 determines your ability. If you'd like an example using a small jet (Citation I-SP) ... let me know ... I can show you how a simple thing like a button can render the airplane SIC required ...

All this changes under FAR135 and FAR121.

There aren't too many FAR121 BE-200s running around so we discuss the FAR135 applicability.

Within the confines of a carrier's OPSPEC, you will find a paragraph that addresses SP (IFR) operations. While this is by no means meant to cover every possible angle, it basically states that a SIC is required under FAR135 (IFR) operations where a functioning A/P is not available.

It doesn't matter if the airplane is a BE-58 or a BE-1900, both of which can be flown SP - IFR.

These questions never seem to have a closure ...

Is it any wonder when the FARs are worded the way that they are ...

Latest resources

Back