Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

N813CA

Yeah buddy
I am switching to an electronic logbook. I am using Logbook Pro with Airline logbook using my palm. I have two choices, I can have the flights be per day or per leg. The only problem is per day it only shows the first aircraft N number. Is this ok for interviews? When I print it out should I exclude the N number? It will take a lot more paper to do per leg. Do they really care which N number you are in? They are all the CL-65. Thanks

I do mine by day. I don't really think anyone cares what tail number you're flying.

Per day is good if you want to conserve paper and ink. Just remember to check your entries in LBP before you print. When you have any changes to your daily schedule such as a cancelled leg or two, your LBP entries may need to be edited. I've also seen it leave out the tail number in LBP when you are using per day and you have to manually put that in.

Last edited:
True...If you do it by day and have cancelled legs it will still include them, and if the cancelled leg is the first flight of the day it will not list the tail number at all.

Listen-

Any company that gets bent out of shape during the interview because you didn't log each N-number individually is a company you don't want to work for.

When I converted to LBP (approx 2000 hours- took about a month), I found many entries in my little black ASA book where I changed birds 3, 4, even 5 times in a day. If I really wanted to be anal about it, I could have logged them all individually, but the only thing I would have gained from it would be an accurate count of which N-number I spent most time in- and I've got much better things to do with my time.

I haven't yet run into an employer or an interviewer who was actually interested in your N-number breakdown; nor for that matter, your airplane breakdown, outside of whether it's single engine, multi, turboprop or jet.

Make it simple on yourself and enter your entries by day. It's really not worth the hassle to do it any other way.

For the record, Jet Blue wants to see N-numbers in your logbook. They'll even tell you that your book is not technically legal without them. Don't shoot the messenger.

DirkkDiggler said:
For the record, Jet Blue wants to see N-numbers in your logbook. They'll even tell you that your book is not technically legal without them. Don't shoot the messenger.

That's because it technically isn't legal.

I suggest having Logbook Pro log every leg, and then put in your own logbook, if you still keep one, one line per day. That way you have a record of every N number if somebody calls you on it.

I log by leg because it's more acurate and I can account for what I actually flew vs my captain. for instance I only log an approach, landing or instrument time when I fly, if I have 4 legs in a day one that's alot to put in the from-to block and two if a few month's later I want to know where I actually did my approaches and landings I can. but as stated above it's all personal preference other than the legality issue of n numbers.

Save some paper/ink

Doesn't part61 say we have to log the location and type of instrument approach shot. If this is true then if you log one line per day don't forget to not only put how many you did but the place and type as well. No flames please, I do beleive also that this is to meet the recency requirements only so after you have your 6 in 6 it shouldn't matter how many or how you log it.

ref61.51 (g)1-3

Last edited:
willis said:
Doesn't part61 say we have to log the location and type of instrument approach shot. If this is true then if you log one line per day don't forget to not only put how many you did but the place and type as well. No flames please, I do beleive also that this is to meet the recency requirements only so after you have your 6 in 6 it shouldn't matter how many or how you log it.

ref61.51 (g)1-3

I use both Logbook Pro and the Airline Pilots Daily Logbook (APDL). I have always logged every leg in Logbook Pro as well as my written logbook. But only because I am anal. For those with the Part 61 and JetBlue comments, If you are using APDL and Logbook Pro like some others are above, then you do have a leg by leg log of your flying with tail numbers, inst time, night time, approach type, etc. APDL requires you to log each flight leg by leg. So technically you are legal by FAR's. I would have no problem showing an inspector my recency requirements on my palm pilot if he wanted to see it (been ramp check at least 20 times and never have been ask to see it). But because there are so many differing opinions on this subject I just bite the bullet and log leg by leg in Logbook Pro as well to answer the originally posters question.

I would recommend if you do keep your written logbook up to date still, to not let it get too far behind like I did recently. I was told I was losing my job with just 2 weeks notice (furloughed). So I got an interview scheduled elsewhere for the next week. I had not updated my written logbook in 3 years. It took me 10 hours a day for 5 days and several blisters to update it leg by leg. I will never do that again! Yet even as I say it, I haven't updated it since then and that was 10 months ago.:)

Latest resources

Back