Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CopilotDoug

Captain of Industry
Do they offer an option to re-engine them to just two engines instead of four?

Lockheed never had a modification to change the JetStar into a twin engine aircraft. However, there was a company (I forget the name now) that came up with a program to mod the JetStar into a twin. Then they would mod some other type of jet with 731's from the JetStar.

Only JetStar II's and the 731 JetStar's could be used.

The program died due to lack of intrest. I really can't remember a JetStar was ever changed.

con-pilot said:
Lockheed never had a modification to change the JetStar into a twin engine aircraft. However, there was a company (I forget the name now) that came up with a program to mod the JetStar into a twin. Then they would mod some other type of jet with 731's from the JetStar.

Only JetStar II's and the 731 JetStar's could be used.

The program died due to lack of intrest. I really can't remember a JetStar was ever changed.

Ummm, Well that ain't exactly true.

I just posted the question a couple weeks ago about the JetStar photo that I saw where they installed 2 GE CF-34 engines on. The photo was on the back page of a JetStar manual of some sort. I did a little research on it, but was never able to obtain the photo.......BUT!
I did come across the FAA STC for the install... read on
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgSC.nsf/0/E0FF3A50469F0E3186256EE00040E283?OpenDocument

P.S. After the urinating contest between the 'pilots' about where some old JetStar is located and not really reading what the thread was about, I cut ties to the thread. I thought that there might have been an intellegent one in the bunch, but I guess we know who the dumb one is.

The Jetstar was a twin engine in it's origonal form, if i remember correctly, but was so weak the added two more.

Gatorman said:
P.S. After the urinating contest between the 'pilots' about where some old JetStar is located and not really reading what the thread was about, I cut ties to the thread. I thought that there might have been an intellegent one in the bunch, but I guess we know who the dumb one is.
Funny, my Dad is an A&P/IA and DOM for a corporate outfit...when I told him I was gonna be a pilot his response....
"Why would you wanna be a brain dead pilot?"

The aircraft’s original purpose was to compete in a competition to provide a general Utility Transport Category plane for the Air Force. The two aircraft that made the final grade were the two-engine versions of the JetStar from Lockheed and the Saberliner from North American. The JetStar was the initial choice by the Air Force. Meanwhile, the Kennedy White House was looking for Presidential/VIP transport to augment the first 707s that were being used as Air Force One aircraft, and they contacted Lockheed asking if the JetStar could be re-configured as a four-engine aircraft. Lockheed turned to Pratt & Whitney Aircraft Engines about replacing the two French-built Orpheus engines on the original design with four Pratt engines and the plane was re-engineered to its current design, adding slipper tanks on the wings for extra fuel and range.

GV

Ummm, Well that ain't exactly true.

Well just exactly what is incorrect about my statement?

I stated;

Only JetStar II's and the 731 JetStars could be used.

The program died due to lack of interest. I really can't remember a JetStar was ever changed.

The name of the company, provided by the link you supplied, was American Aircraft Industries. The modification was to remove the four TFE-731 on the JetStar II and the 731 JetStar and replace them with two engines providing the same, well nearly the same thrust as the four 731s. They planned to use the 731 engines that were removed from the JetStars on other aircraft such as the Jet Commander 1121s and the IAI Commodore Jet 1123.

Because of the new generation of Business Jets being manufactured or in the planning stages at the time the program was a failure and American Aircraft Industries went out of business.

Now for your snotty little minded comment;

P.S. After the urinating contest between the 'pilots' about where some old JetStar is located and not really reading what the thread was about, I cut ties to the thread. I thought that there might have been an intelligent one in the bunch, but I guess we know who the dumb one is.

I Sir am a pilot. The other gentleman, unlike yourself, and I had a very interesting and informative series of correspondence concerning Lockheed JetStars. At no time did either one of us urinate upon each other. I would suggest that the only person in this thread or the other thread that is doing any type of urinating is you.

Now as far as whom is smarter. It took me all of five minutes to find the picture you are inquiring about. However, if you expect me to post said picture or provide any information what so ever regarding how to find same picture you are sadly mistaken, not with your urinating poor attitude.

thank you for making my point

Latest resources

Back