LJ Aviation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

beechcowboy

Anyone know anything about LJ Aviation based in Latrobe, PA. They fly a variety of aircraft (King Air, Citations, Lears, Helo's, Hawkers, Falcons)? Curious about schedules, upgrades, quality of life, type of flying, etc.

Dude,

worked for them for several years. Maintain the equiptment very well. When I was there, there was no schedule. Worked my arse off. Now I think they get every other weekend guaranteed off.

Worked next door at Vee-Neal years back talked with the owner a few times, it seemed like a nice place to work.

Be careful and do a board search prior to accepting anything. Ed Sr. can be a piece of work to fly with and work for. A good friend who is furloughed Airways took a gig there and I have heard many stories and things that would make me want to stear clear of that place at all costs. PM me if you want the specifics, I don't want to trash a company or go into that much negativity on a public board here. They do seem to let folks go at will when times get slow, happened to two people in recent times. If you are that desperate then it may be a place to consider but try Pittsburgh Jet, etc if you are in that area and want to stay put. Tony, would you like to chime in here?:D You will find worse operators but you will also come across much better ones out there in that region.

350DRIVER said:
Be careful and do a board search prior to accepting anything. Ed Sr. can be a piece of work to fly with and work for. A good friend who is furloughed Airways took a gig there and I have heard many stories and things that would make me want to stear clear of that place at all costs. PM me if you want the specifics, I don't want to trash a company or go into that much negativity on a public board here. They do seem to let folks go at will when times get slow, happened to two people in recent times. If you are that desperate then it may be a place to consider but try Pittsburgh Jet, etc if you are in that area and want to stay put. Tony, would you like to chime in here?:D You will find worse operators but you will also come across much better ones out there in that region.

Pittsburgh Jet Center ? Always got a kick out of their name. As far as I know, all they operate is a Navajo, and a Metro. Their website just recently added a Lear 60. I suppose they threw that on there to give their name some credibility. I think flying a Lear 60 out of their homebase is a bit of a stretch.

They also list annual training at Flightsafety for their crews. Guess I have been going more often than necessary, at 2 visits per year :)

Probably have the least to offer of all Pgh. area charter operators.
Try Corporate Air, Voyager Jet, Skyward, or LJ Aviation first.

As far as Ed Sr. goes, I agree with 350. However, I have always liked him personally. Just don't know if I could live with the schedule there.

slowto250 said:
Pittsburgh Jet Center ? Always got a kick out of their name. As far as I know, all they operate is a Navajo, and a Metro. Their website just recently added a Lear 60. I suppose they threw that on there to give their name some credibility. I think flying a Lear 60 out of their homebase is a bit of a stretch.

They also list annual training at Flightsafety for their crews. Guess I have been going more often than necessary, at 2 visits per year :)

Probably have the least to offer of all Pgh. area charter operators.
Try Corporate Air, Voyager Jet, Skyward, or LJ Aviation first.

As far as Ed Sr. goes, I agree with 350. However, I have always liked him personally. Just don't know if I could live with the schedule there.

I have heard they have added a few more Metro's and are looking to hire street captains. (may or may not be correct). Ed Sr. is a "unique" individual to put it mildly, nice to talk to but working for him they say is a completely different animal. I have heard a few comical stories about him in the Westwind and in his heli. Those days "off" are far from being considered a given and usually the bottom guys on the pole are required to go in on their off days and do Jepp revisions, office stuff, etc. Not sure this would be the kind of 135 department that I would have been able to be a part of. They do still have the UWV contract flying the guys around in the King Air. Could you imagine wearing one of the U of West Virginia polo shirts? ouch:D

what?

"Those days "off" are far from being considered a given and usually the bottom guys on the pole are required to go in on their off days and do Jepp revisions, office stuff, etc. Not sure this would be the kind of 135 department that I would have been able to be a part of. "

When did your buddy work there? I was there 5 years ago and we never went in on our days off for office crap.

hawkercpt said:
"Those days "off" are far from being considered a given and usually the bottom guys on the pole are required to go in on their off days and do Jepp revisions, office stuff, etc. Not sure this would be the kind of 135 department that I would have been able to be a part of. "

When did your buddy work there? I was there 5 years ago and we never went in on our days off for office crap.

This was somewhat recent within the past 1.5 years, actually happened to two guys that I am aware of for certain.

Latest resources

Back