Living in NC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wndshr

i am wondering what it is like in NC...does anyone commute to NYC?

cost of living? i hear bugs/snakes make camping pretty fun!

what are some good cities to look at? good schools close to a major airport?

thanks

NC is great from Raleigh west. From Raleigh east it aint much to look at until you get to the coast.

The best cities to look at (IMHO) would be Charlotte, Raleigh, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and Asheville. It depends what you are into really. If the outdoor life is your thing Asheville would be hard to beat, but there are some great areas around Winston-Salem too.

I cant tell you about the commute to NYC, but CLT has the USairways Hub (I think, I haven't checked the paper today) and RDU has a lot of flights up that way I think. Greensboro and Asheville are going to be more limited.

As for snakes and bugs...it could be worse, but I do my camping in fall and winter when it isnt a problem.

Charlotte has some great schools, but it has some pretty bad ones too. I cant speak for the rest of the state really. I guess it's pretty much the same as everywhere.

All in all NC is a nice place to live. Greenville, SC is also nice and just across the state line in the upstate. It's still very close to the mountains, but I understand NC schools are better.

Let me know if you need anything else.

wndshr said:
i am wondering what it is like in NC...does anyone commute to NYC?

If you are a Yankee,

NC is horrible, you don't want to come here, we all speak funny and say ya'll! Stay away.....yankees feet will burn upon stepping on southern soil...bad bad bad!!! And why would anyone WANT to go to NYC??!!!!

If you are not a Yankee,

NC is great, come on and enjoy our southern charm!!

:) :) :)

KeroseneSnorter said:
If you are a Yankee,

NC is horrible, you don't want to come here, we all speak funny and say ya'll! Stay away.....yankees feet will burn upon stepping on southern soil...bad bad bad!!! And why would anyone WANT to go to NYC??!!!!

If you are not a Yankee,

NC is great, come on and enjoy our southern charm!!

:) :) :)
The funny thing is that I used to live in NC and they called my wife a yankee bitch to her face. Some type of southern charm!!!! I have lived all over the country and I place NC on the bottom of the list. I would never live there again.

Bandit...where is the best place you have lived...and please don't say California..someplace where a normal dude can actually afford to buy a house and raise a family!!!

if we move to NC i will have to get those southern phonics tapes i guess! LOL

thanks FLYWRITE for the good info!!!

Latest resources

Back