Living 1 hour from BOS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LandGreen

Looking for folks who live or have lived 1 hour from Logan...good schools, safe neighborhoods...you know the drill...no more than 550K for a house...NH vs. MA...

thanks a ton!

I live 20 mins north. you can buy for 375-450 be very happy in the north shore but close to BOS and town and maybe on commuter rail line.
PM me for details.

NH is definitely cheaper. Plus no state income tax and no sales tax. You can do an hour commute as far north as Portsmouth most of the day.

Check out a variety of towns about 20-30 miles NW of the city. Westford, Chelmsford, Acton, Littleton, etc...all quaint sleeper towns with a variety of services and good living conditions. All are close to the commuter rail and highways. Demographic in most of these places would be majority Catholic/Protestant, middle & upper middle class, good schools, very safe (rarely anything worse than a burglery)...high taxes, though.

I lived in Westford for 7 yrs. Excellent schools, right off 495, very family friendly. Houses are getting more expensive there from what I hear...I would guess 400-500k for an average house. www.westford.com

Right accross the border is Nashua...that seems to be a pretty popular place as well. At least in the past, it was more affordable. No sales tax or income tax either. Nashua is certainly within an hr's drive (light traffic) to Logan. It is a bigger town, though...not sure if it has the bucolic charm most of the small towns posess...very colonial, historic roots, quiet...town commons, etc...

I'll never ever go back, though. People there are provincial and markedly less friendly than other parts of the country, but the hardest part about living in MA is the weather. It generally sucks from about October to May followed by a couple tolerable mosquito filled months. August till whenever it starts sucking is generally beautiful, though. Good luck with your search.

Last edited:
Mass sucks. Its practicaly communist. I mean c'mon...they LIKE Ted Kennedy.

Go north to NH. Live tax free or die.

Winter - rough
Summer - awesome, lakes region is a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Roxbury is an excellent place to live. Just off of blue hill ave. Excellent schools and very nice parks.

Look at portsmouth or nashua if you don't like roxbury. I'd recomend portsmouth because going up Rt3 every day would cause me to drink.

Sturbridge is nice too but I don't know why you want to stay in Mass with the taxes.

I live on the Cape, about an hour to Boston could be longer on route 3 with rush hour traffic. Yep, Mass sucks for taxes but New Hampshire can suck with property taxes. They are very high in some communities.

I spent 21yrs of my life in Nashua. Almost all on the north side of town. It's a nice town with good schools. Descent amount of things to do. About an hour to the mountains as well as to the beach. There is no state or sales tax however they will get you on property taxes. It's fairly expensive but I believe it's cheaper than mass. Hope this helps.

Disregard Diesel's post about Roxbury being a nice town. He's joking!! I hope!

There are a lot of people that will bash MA because of the politics but the fact is, it's a great place to raise a family. It's expensive for a reason.

Nashu, NH area is a great place to live too but the property tax is really high so you won't save that much money with no state income tax. It has a great school system too.

If the school system is important than do a lot of research if you are interested in NH. They don't rate the schools the same way MA does and their public schools aren't as good. I lived in NH so I can say that. LOL

Burlington, MA is a great town with good schools and it's only about 20 minutes outside of the city. The property tax is really low because they have big business and a large mall that reduces the taxes. You can find a nice home in your price range.

Good luck!!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back