Livin the dream

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bugchaser

Good evening everyone. Today was one of those days that truly makes you glad to be alive. As I took my first load out and watched the sun come up over the west Texas fields, I realized that if I never do anything else, I have truly been blessed. The air was just right and I could see for miles. I was doing something that I absolutely love and that not many get a chance to experience. To live in a free country and be able to pursue a dream like flying is something that most of the world does not enjoy. No matter how bad times are or what you think about the political or economic situation, we all have it very good. The next time you fly, take a few moments to enjoy the sights and reflect on how truly lucky you are to be were you are. Whether you are flying a 150 or a jumbo jet, enjoy yourself and remember what keeps you in this game. Good luck to everyone and God bless our troops and the Uninted States of America.

Well said bugchaser. Every time I am in the cockpit with a fellow pilot who can do nothing but bitch and moan about how bad they have it I am thinking about how I could be sitting behind a desk somewhere. If that were the case who would get me coffee? Especially in tough times like these I am extremely grateful to be able to do what I love - never wanted a real job anyway.

I second that post!!!!!!!!!

I also have to frequently remind myself in this second year on this particular job...that not only do I have it lucky to be working, but that this job is really GREAT!

I spent all day friday, plowing about at 4 and 5 thousand feet crane-ing my neck, looking out the window for ICE on the boots and the brake calipers. The temp was +2 to 0 C the whole time. Had everthing from impact ice, to clear, to rime, to snow bouncing off or splatering, then melting and then running back. There were times when I was at 16,000 feet...pulling O2, with the temps at -16 C. Then back into the cloud tops...knowing full well that I had topped out on torque thousands of feet ago and that by climbing further, I'd be in the tops getting ice at an altitude I'd rather not be. There was rain all over, some of which caused the fog to put a 1/4 mile vis on the asos, making my diversion to an airport with a half mile and 100 VV the place to go. Not complaining. Normaly I have a three leg day and I'm done. On this day it was 6 legs, all flown to ILS minumums, in a cessna caravan in ICING from the surface to 18K. Lucky? Blessed? Maybe so, maybe not...but still...I have to take time to look out and enjoy the scenery. Ships pulling out of harbor on a nice day or the sun setting or rising on an evening or morning, where pedestrians are NOT going to see the sun...and they are walking into or out of their work, with a grey sky and an umbrella over head.

(I was composing this post when I see twotter posted about biatching pilots....ahem...I hear ya bro! biatch biatch biatch... I get sick of it too)

Been there; Done that; Got the twitch.

Nice thread.

Re: Picking up ice in a 208--Just be careful. I've been there; I got the twitch to prove it.

Fly safe.

Just when I thought things were good. Today I took my 3 year old son out flying in our Bonanza. This kid is absolutely crazy about airplanes. The look on his face as he got to "fly" the airplane was priceless. As I watched his excited face light up, I could see myself sitting there many years ago. The excitement and passion for flying has started to kindle in him. In that moment, all the "bad" aspects of aviation melted away and I was left with just the pure joy and wonderment that flight can bring. It is moments like those, especially when shared with loved ones that keeps me coming back for more. Whatever it is that infects each of us that has a love for flight, we can do little to cure ourselves. Once we have contracted the bug we are hooked for life. I am just glad that I have the ability to share these things with my children. Once again, thank God for the Uninted States of America!

What a great post

you hit it right on the head, that is why we all love to fly airplanes and I too fail to understand all the whinning. Being paid to do something you love to do? beats me

I remember my first flight. It to was in a Bonanza through the Young Eagles. I give many props (no pun intedended) to those men and women. One day when I have my liscnese, i will be there as well, giving those young kids their first flight. I know I will always cherish every flight i take. Unfortnatly, I have had to take some time away from flying due to my other commintements with school, but I will be up in the skies soon!

Latest resources

Back