LIRQ Florence question Help

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

G3G4

I have a trip to Florence at the end of the month, I have never been there before and would like some info.
How is the parking situation there? Is it tought to get parking there?

Hotels? Any recommendations?

Yes parking can be hard to come by, sometimes have to repo to Genoa? Really try to stay in Florence...somewhat nicer than Genoa etc..

I have had excellent stays at here:

http://www.palazzomagnaniferoni.com/panoramic-terrace.phtml

also here:

http://www.hotelsavoy.it/

Both actually have decent rates if you shop early. Both are in great locations.

Florence is a great city, probably my favorite destination. Cant go wrong with the food or sightseeing, especially off season.

For good, casual local food try here:

http://www.bucalapi.com/home-eng.htm

about a 10 min walk.

Enjoy!

We went to Pisa. Lousy hotels there. Tight parking.

Genoa is a better facility (if you don't hit the boats on approach...).

TC

Parking is limited in Florence. The earlier you reserve a spot the better. Perugia is another great place to repo with good parking, phenomenal hotels and scenery!

Florence is doable but it's one way in/one way out isn't it?

TC

P.S.--We were in fairly large aircraft so that might have made a difference too.

This time of year the parking shouldn't be too tight, but it is expensive - as well as all the other services. Fuel there is super high compared to other European airports - Universal is showing their spot price at $5.50/gal as of today. We use Delta Aerotaxi for handling and they take pretty good care of us.

What version of G are you flying there? 717 is right, there is one way in and essentially one way out. I only go there in the summer, but the winds favor RW05 until about 1400, then they shift to favor RW23 - sometimes vigorously. I tried to tanker some fuel in there last year in the BBJ to try and save about 10 grand in fuel cost having banked on the wind dying down by our 2130 arrival, but watched in horror for most of our five hour flight as the winds stayed stiff out of the south west at about 11k. Fortunately, 30 minutes prior to our arrival the wind died down so we could land on 05 and (legally) get stopped by the end.

We stay at the Sofitel when we can and, given the financial situation over there (last summer was dead compared to 2007) you should be able to get rooms for less than 200 bucks per night at a number of nice hotels (with room service, internet, and elevators) near the Duomo. Strange, but the Sofitel is cheaper on the weekends in May than during the week (215US weekdays/186US weekends).

Try this web site for local hotels, but call the joint yourself to get the best deal. If you go to the JJ Cathedral bar by the Duomo, tell Lorenzo the manager that Kevin from Chicago says hi.

we will be going there with a G5. Hotel will be the Hilton Metropole. Has any one used corporate air services there? Thats who Universal is using for us. How is the customs and immigration there? Pretty straight forward?

we will be going there with a G5. Hotel will be the Hilton Metropole. Has any one used corporate air services there? Thats who Universal is using for us. How is the customs and immigration there? Pretty straight forward?

yes, small ramp with FBO type building. Thats customs and immigration and everything else.

Very simple.

I'd rethink that hotel, its nowhere near downtown....gotta think outside the pilot Marriott/Hilton box in Florence. You are a shuttle ride or a $30 cab ride away from anything ..basically it's a 2.5 star airport hotel. Florence is a walking city, and most of the hotels near everything are not chains...but if you are there for one short night and an early departure? maybe its convenient.

Enjoy either way!

Tripadvisor.com found us a great small hotel in Catania. I'd use them again for that purpose.

TC

Dear, God. Universal has such a hard-on for that hotel, I think they must get a friggin' kick back from them for every booking.

Do not stay there. It's a decent and comfortable hotel, but so isolated from anything useful its like being in prison. Located south of the airport in an industrial area surrounded by elevated highway, you would have to call a taxi out to go anywhere to eat. I would willingly stay there for a short overnight, but anything longer than a day and you're cheating yourself. Stay near the Duomo, Santa Croce, Ponte Veccio or near the train station (not how it sounds). Even if its in a small, local, independent place you'll be a lot happier. I would check things out for yourself and then tell Universal where you want to stay - that's what we do. You're probably paying around 120-150E for the Hilton, for that you could get something four star near the Duomo.

Really, stay in town.

Corporate Air Services is a description, not a name. Delta Aerotaxi does all the handling at LIRQ (and Pisa) +39 055 300 450. They have a small building next to the main parking ramp where your passengers would clear customs, though I've never been in it. The handlers deal with all crew issues at the aircraft. On the way out, there's a small security checkpoint to the south end of the main terminal (near the taxi stand) where you and your passengers will get screened and bussed out to the parking ramp.

Latest resources

Back