line up and wait ...!?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tathepilot

Yesterday i think. (frg) Tower told execjetxxx position and hold. (after about 6 aircraft do touch and goes)
ej - line up and wait, ejxxx (very angry)
tower (new controller)- im sorry i don't understand
ej - check icao and goes into position and holds.

tower says nothing
what bearing does "line up and wait have here in the fed world?"

In Toronto and Montreal they say Line up and wait or Position and wait. Maybe it's a Canadien thing? I guess US pilots are supposed to comply with the local terminology, although I heard myself laughing a bit under my breath while saying it.

my friend's dad who flies 777's said they say "line up and wait" everywhere else in the world. the US is the only place where you hear "taxi into position and hold".

ICAO phraseolgy in my opinion sux......word on the street the FAA wants to start using it in the next 8 years. I don't think I'll have too much fun with that. Ill stick with the 7110

tathepilot said:
Yesterday i think. (frg) Tower told execjetxxx position and hold. (after about 6 aircraft do touch and goes)
ej - line up and wait, ejxxx (very angry)
tower (new controller)- im sorry i don't understand
ej - check icao and goes into position and holds.

tower says nothing
what bearing does "line up and wait have here in the fed world?"
"Line Up and Wait" is standard ICAO Phraseology for "Taxi into position and hold"... When flying internationally there is a lot of terminology differences between the US and the rest of the world...

Either way there are two standard phrases as a reply to "taxi into position and hold" such as:

TWR "xxx taxi into position and hold"
NXXX "Roger, Pull it out an' hold it."
or
NXXX "Were assumin' the position"

-- T-Hawk

Falcon Capt said:
"Line Up and Wait" is standard ICAO Phraseology for "Taxi into position and hold"... When flying internationally there is a lot of terminology differences between the US and the rest of the world...
Exactly. Even though English is the "international language", there are many differences once you leave the USA.

Then there's my favorite term, "on the hold..."

Man I hate that phrase, sounds ridiculous. What the hell does it mean anyway? I dunno, but hear it quite often on the radio...

staledog said:
my friend's dad who flies 777's said they say "line up and wait" everywhere else in the world. the US is the only place where you hear "taxi into position and hold".
You're correct sir....

line up and wait it is

confirmed Mexico and South America

Iberia, Air France, KLM all use it plus the local national carriers

also

"Flight Level Zero six zero" (6000 feet)

"request to deviate for Charlie Bravo" (cumulonimbus/TRW)

ATC also usually does not call traffic via Model, as in "Learjet at 3 oclock"

they will say "there is a Lima Romeo Three Five at your 3 oclock", I think they read the type directly off the radar/flight plan/strips

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back