Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ignatius

Hello all,

I've seen a few threads similar to this one, but wanted to add my personal twist to the old "how to break into corporate aviation" question.

The first question is about the disclination--or not--of many or even most corporate outfits to hire so-called airline guys. I say so-called because my current job as a regional RJ FO will define me in the eyes of some despite the vast majority of my experience being PIC. So, how much of a strike against is 121-ness?

Second, most of that PIC is single-pilot in Alaska: Caravans and Navajos. I think that (and the rest of my) background is a surprisingly good fit for a corporate job, but my opinion only seems to go so far. It might be that I have a little of everything (instructing, charter, dispatching, wrenching) but not enough of the specifically right things. So, what of it? Does a guy necessarily have to start out at the very bottom (whatever that means) of corporate aviation in order to land one of the juicy corporate jobs?

I'll leave it at that. Some of what I asked is a bit rhetorical, but your words of advice are very welcome. Commentary is okay, too! For those who might ask, this would ideally be a West Coast, job, but that is another story, for now. Now I'm off to pound out another cover letter...

Thanks much,

Iggy

2 of our 20 pilots have flown part 121 in the past. I don't think that it hurts. One was even on furlough at the time of hire. I guess it all depends on the situation.

Two of our last four newhires flew RJ's for regionals. And during our current hiring, we've already interiewed a couple more that currently do. In our resume pile are lots from the "majors" too, some with 10 plus yrs. Time totals and having an ATP (insurance thing I guess), seem to mean more than how the time was accumulated. Although for one of our openings, a type is also required.

Latest resources

Back