Likes/Dislikes for the CL-65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mocaman

Just wondering what some of you guys like and also dislike about the RJ? I am far from it...but just curious as to what some pilots think. Thanks

I think it looks cool and the glass panel in the cockpit is pretty cool. Heck, it even rides well in the back. Now, I may have a different opinion when I get to ride in the front left or right :D Then again, that may never happen since I am leaning towards a corporate or fractional career. The Challengers can't be too different from it though. The Global Express looks like it but I think it was designed and built from scratch, not just stretched and tweaked.

Never flown the CRJ but I have a bit over 4k hours in the EMB-145. It has been a good plane to work with for the past few years (no majors problems for me, Yet!) but like all things, I'm ready to move on to something new.

The things I like about it:
Totally glass cockpit (in fact the only round dials our new a/c have are the ca and fo's clocks)
Relatively simple systems (DC electrial, 2 hyd systems, etc)
Predictable flying qualities
Comfortable cockpit as far as space goes (for the size of the a/c)
Good packs (air conditioning)

Things that need improvement
Cockpit noise level (and cabin for that fact)
More thrust ( the new 145XR's are an improvement but, well who are we kidding, all a/c need more thrust!)
We really need autothrottles!
More sophisticated FMS's and VNAV capabilities
More speed brake settings (1/4, 1/2, etc.)
well the list goes on but its nit-picking
The truth is it's not the best a/c out there but the Embraer line has been improving (the first a/c we got is a total POS compared to our newest ones). It is a good a/c to fly and learn to fly a jet/airline operations on (assuming you studied your **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**!). Good luck with your career, you'll be here before you know it.

av8rrob
CoEx ERJ 145 CA

I fly the CRJ and these are the things that need improvement:

1. The crew bag closet needs to be about 1/2" wider.

2. I hate it when the airspeed bug syncs when you engage the
autopilot.

3. It feels like you're entering a snap roll when the autopilot
captures the LOC.

4. It needs leading edge devices because it is a runway hog.

5. The passenger windows are too darn low.

6. You can't fit anything bigger than a laptop in the overhead bin.

Other than the above, it's a nice ride. It slows down nicely when you need it to, it's relatively quiet (more than the ERJ), and there's more cabin leg room than a 757.

everything lionflyer said, plus the automatic air temperature controllers are absolutely terrible. They require far too much attention, and the passengers are either freezing cold or blazing hot. The cockpit, of course, stays perfect at all times. The manual controls work well when you're level, but require more attention than the auto mode when changing altitude. Has anyone else had those gaspers spit ice at you?

The climb performance above FL250 is rarely better than 500 fpm with a standard load, and ATC hates that. So do we.

The automation requires a lot of attention also. Like anything else, it gets easier with more time in the cockpit. As good as the automation is, it tends to make one complacent....that is until it tries to make a left turn to intercept the 26R localizer at ATL. That'll wake you up!

Low wings.

It is a runway hog.

Only one flight attendant.

On the good side, well, most everything else. All the good things definitely outweigh the few, piddly bad things. I love the airplane, and that's good because it looks like I'll be in it for a long time.

Hey, it could be worse. At least we gave the -100s back to Comair!

Everything everyone said so far is pretty much right on.

Only thing I'd add is the new cockpit seats don't go back far enough.

And since we're bit*hing, what IS the deal with those new mini sized cups?? **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** things don't even come up level with the top of the cup holder.

CF34-3B1 said:
And since we're bit*hing, what IS the deal with those new mini sized cups?? **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** things don't even come up level with the top of the cup holder.

I know I started it, but let's leave the flight attendants out of this.

Place the "mini me" cup inside a plastic cup and at least you can pick the darn thing up out of the cup holder. Speaking of cup holder....how about making them heated so my coffee does not get cold in 5 minutes.

A man can dream......:D

I agree there are things that need improvement but I guess I'll be more optimistic. I think the CRJ is a great airplane. It's the only jet I've flown so I don't have much to compare it too except for other pilots I talk to or have in the jumpseat. It has less climb performance than an average 737 but once in cruise we can fly faster. I understand the 737-300 and 737-500 generally fly at .74 mach to .77 and are certified to FL370. Today we were half full and flying from Des Moines to Salt Lake and we climbed up to FL390 (we're certified to FL410) and we were making .77 mach. Going up to Calgary this afternoon (half full) and at FL350 we were doing about .81 mach. On the way back we could have gone up to FL410 but instead flew wrong way at FL390. I flew the Brasilia before the CRJ and I didn't like its handling characteristics. It was extremely heavy, especially in roll control. And that darn rudder trim was always out. The CRJ's handling is great to me. It's very light and extremely responsive. In the sim we get a chance to roll it to see the responsiveness and it rolls like a fighter. That responsiveness takes a little time to get used to as well as the artificial feel induced by having hydraulic controls but I understand that is common on most other transport jets. I love how it handles. I like the flight director panel and autopilot better than the Brasilias. We have six efis screens and and nice FMS that does everthing. (About five minutes after departure from SLC yesterday we were cleared direct Des Moines. Punch in direct DSM and you're done navigating for the next 2 hours. I love /F.) We don't have autothrottles but we have a cool airspeed trend vector. It shows you what your airspeed will be at in ten seconds from now. It's makes setting your power very easy. Pilots from United and Delta that ride in our jumpseat often comment on how nice our avionics suite is compared to what they fly. We don't have leading edge devices (slats) which makes our takeoff and landing distances be long and also makes for very fast takeoff and landing speeds. Landing speeds are generally faster than most other airliners. Slats come on the CRJ-700 (which is also a CL-65 by the way). There is a higher thrust to weight ratio on the CRJ-700 too making for better climb performance. Also the passenger windows on the -700 are set higher so the passengers don't have to hunch over to look outside. The cockpit is nice with a nice place for your jep binder on a clipboard in perfect view (The Brasilia didn't have that). There's also a perfectly shaped place for your rectangular flight case (the Brasilia didn't have that either). The environmental control system requires attention to not be too cool or hot but I understand many other larger jets have the same problem (go drive your car for an hour in the cold and count just how many times you touch the temperature and fan controls and you'll be surprised). The cockpit noise is alright. The older ones are lots louder than the new ones. The new ones you can take off your headset at cruise and have a normal conversation. The 737s I've jumpseated on were much quieter though. But I've heard the 727 is a real racket up front. The new pilot's seats are great, the old ones suck. Since the engines are mounted high on the fuselage the thrust creates a down pitching moment. When you reduce thrust over the threshold the nose wants to pitch up instead of down like other airplanes. Also on a go-around when you increase power the nose wants to pitch down. It's no big deal and you get used to it but it's opposite from how a Cessna or a 737 reacts. The autopilot disconnects on a go-around from a coupled approach which the Brasilia didn't do. I liked that on the Braslia. Overall I think it's a great airplane. It would be great to hear from someone whose flown both the CRJ and other jets. Anybody out there flown the CRJ and the ERJ too (Mesa pilots)? Anyone flown both the CRJ-200 and the CRJ-700 (ASA pilots)? How's it compare to the Donier 328Jet (ACA pilots)? What about the 737 (Ex CRJ pilots)?

Having flown on the jumpseat and within the cabin of the CRJ, I agree that the airplane is very nice. I would be just as happy flying the thing as I am flying the Embraer EMB-145.

That said, here are a few things about the EMB, in case anyone might be interested:

We have FADEC's controlling our engines (basically fly by wire engines) so setting takeoff thrust entails merely pushing the thrust levers into a detent. That's it. Climb Thrust - press the Climb button. Cruise Thrust - press the Cruise button. No fiddling with the thrust levers. Nice.

Above about 270 KIAS, the cockpit gets loud, about as loud as the old 727's, I think. I wear Telex Airman 750 lightweights with earplugs.

I personally think the 140 and 145 are underpowered in the climb at the higher altitudes, although apparently not as underpowered as the CRJ. The 145 can usually hold 1000 fpm all the way up to FL370. The 135 does substantially better due to its lower weight.

Once up at altitude, we typically cruise at M.77 to .78 (One of my gripes is that the airplane will shoot right through Mmo or Vmo in cruise and we constantly have to reduce power. This tells me that the airplane should be about a M.80 or better airplane but for whatever reason it's been limited to M.78.)

The cockpit is a major improvement over the Brasilia. It's a lot deeper and has room for a normal kit bag for each crewmember (although it is a bit too far back for comfort). Gone are the switches. They've been replaced with push buttons and rotary knobs. The panel is all-glass and is very clean and tidy. We've got dual Universal UNS-1K FMS's which are pretty easy to use and make lateral and vertical navigation a snap.

The ailerons are hydraulically powered and are light and responsive, even at high speeds. The rudder is also hydraulic.

The ram's horn yoke took some getting used to, but it feels natural enough to me now.

The airplane is easy to land and has excellent brakes. It'll handle a short field with ease.

Our APU works well when it's running. However, it can be cranky to start in flight so we normally start it on the ground after landing. Embraer has been working on that problem for quite some time.

Overall, I love the airplane. However, as I said at the beginning, I would be just as happy flying the CRJ. They both seem to be good birds.
;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back