• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dornier 328-Jet vs. CRJ

Dornier:

Positives:
Passenger seats and low center floor just make for more room to move around - definitely more comfortable in the back.
Except once seated behind engines, the thing whines like crazy. Don't even think of falling asleep with your head near the window, you won't hear for days.
Lavatory that a man can use standing up - instead of having to do the reverse "c" dance in the CRJ.
In the front office:
Honeywell Primus system - what a great box for FMS and system controls.
Nice work station space - don't feel like I'm trying to work with my shoulders tied down.
What can you say about a plane that can climb at 5500fpm fully loaded in a "normal" takeoff. How about the thrill of an empty V2 climb where the meter tops out at 9999? Now that is fun!
High wing design with not much on the belly makes for an easy pre-flight walk around.

Negatives:
Coffee pots only come on with AC and AC only comes off main engines. (This is a DC based airplane)
Whiny, noisy cabin and cockpit. Thought I could lose the David Clarks in the Jet, but put 'em back in service after one week on the line.
The "Velcro" (and plastic) airplane. It's the only plane I can think of that needs a "Danger - watch for falling objects" sign in the cabin and cockpit. For the Dornier folks, let's run down the list of how many times does?
The exit sign get knocked off and blown under the plane?
The pedestal step door with the crash ax slam open on T/O?
The plastic piece over the lav door fall down on you?
The F/A complains that a light lense has fallen on a customer?
The F/A complains that the "hat rack" panel has fallen in her lap?
Five screen EFIS failures are not fun.
Two out of three generators is a good day.
One out of two HX fans is a good day.
Less than twenty "patches" on your boots is a "clean" airplane.
How many times will the plane fly through the localizer on A/P? Will the flight director ever find the localizer?
Funny the CRJ and the Dork must have the same temp controllers. The ECS can't find a temp anywhere near human limits.
.66 mach but wait that's red line, so let's cruise at .64 - at least I get paid by the hour.
.66 mach and ATC says, "turn left 30 degrees for traffic" and you know its to let them pass you!
Having a top of FL310 but it's only doing 240kts up there so ATC never gives you anything above FL280.
Knowing there are only two airplanes that you can catch and pass and they are the 328-prop and the Dash-8.
Boston has you at 6,000ft and then tells you "..five miles from the marker, you are cleared for the ILS 4R approach, speed 180" and knowing that you can't get down that fast.

CRJ:

Negatives:
I'm sorry but that is one cramped little cabin. You don't want any passengers that are above FAA standard weight sitting next to you.
My neck and shoulders don't turn that far. How exactly am I supposed to get things out of my flight bag, reset circuit breakers, reach that darn new door safety bar and get in and out of that seat. I need a good chiropractor.
Oh and who designed the cockpit door - just love that overhead filler - you know the one that if your over 5'10" will scalp you better that any Shawnee with a knife? (please no PC flames)
Holy time warp batman, where did they get this FMS? Do you like that? Execute. Vertical Navigation - ah that's for sissy pilots.
How many passengers are on board? I'm at Vt and we're only climbing at 3000fpm in the middle of winter?
I'm sorry its -14C outside, the ramp is full of de-ice and you want me to check what? Are you serious? The MLG overheat loops, the Avionics bay (new security checks) and the gear pin dust covers. Who can I send the dry cleaning bill to?

Positives:
Knock, Knock - hey this panel is made out of metal - not plastic like on the Dork.
.85/335kts - oh my gawd we just passed a 737 and they made a Dork turn so we could get ahead of them going into LGA.
Coffee..................mmmmmm.
FL330 and still able to kick some tail, yeah we could climb faster but who needs it.
Passengers actually think it looks like an airplane. However, I had to laugh when on my first trip, a passenger had claustrophobia. I can't tell you how many passengers "balked" at the Dork - usually before they got in it.
Flight spoilers - you mean I can make a mistake and still recover!
Thrust reversers - cool! That means CRJ tires must last longer than the weekly tire changes on the Dork.
Low wing, trailing link gear - wow it lands like a Piper Arrow.

But why oh why do both airplanes have seats that feel like granite after 20 minutes?

lionflyer said:
1. The crew bag closet needs to be about 1/2" wider.

Don't know of any of you have seen it but with the new bulletproof doors they're installing we lose the closet all together. The new door is bolted and hinged on the right (FO) side so it prevents the door from opening.

Gonna have to get a much smaller bag to fit in the overhead or let the pride of East Point and College Park have their way with our bags now.

Ah yes, we at Pinnacle have had no closet up front from the beginning, because Northwest had the aircraft configured like this at the factory. It sucks.

1) Whatever it is about the winscreen that seems to make it condusive to the formation of St. Elmo's fire, and

2) the way you can get both stall warblers going at the same time during a test to make it sound like a phaser.

Dislike: The voice they used for aural warnings. A sexy Canadian's female voice (like my girlfirend's) to replace the guy's that is currently intalled should have taken precedence over EICAS 2000 upgrades. Apparently, people in Montreal have a strange concept on how to get one's attention.

Oh yeah, and if they take away that forward closet, I'm getting out of the airline racket for good. What good is a union if nobody's threatening to strike over that? It's bad enough we don't get those little electric carts to carry us to our gates.

The only problems I have with my mount:

(1) I wish the ECS had a "bug" so you could tell what temperature the packs are trying to maintain.

(2) Maybe it's just me, but it seems like I "saw" weather a lot further away with the Brasilia's radar then I do with the R.J.'s. (User error, perhaps?)

(3) If this thing just had one more engine...! Maybe they could bolt two more onto the existing pair...you know, like a VC-10?

(4) In about half the jets in our fleet, maybe more, when the nose gear comes off the ground on takeoff, it sounds like a DC-7 is trying to fly through the cockpit.

(5) Probably my biggest pet-peeve: couldn't they have designed this thing so that the autopilot wouldn't let the airplane balloon a hundred feet when the first two notches of flaps come out? (Note to new C.R.J. guys: wait until you're rolling into a turn to throw the flaps out. It makes the transition a lot smoother.)

Other than that, I love this plane!

Does anyone ever go from V/S to PITCH mode when adding Flaps 20 in a decent to avoid the balloon?

The best way I have found to surpress the violent pitch over when the flaps are deployed is to grab the spoilers and extend them at about the same rate as the flaps are deploying. As soon as the flaps are out and the auto pilot has caught up stow them.

I've found that if you slow 10-15 knots lower than max flap speed, it doesn't balloon as much. I'll have to try the pitch mode trick. Makes sense.

AF

Having to ride the speed-brake to keep the engines spooled up in icing conditions while being stepped down for an approach can be a handful... Add to that the lack of autothrottles... High tech EFIS and EICAS systems but still a busy airplane compared to the 737NG's... Other than that...The airplane is pretty nice but I'm told the CRJ700 is better.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back