• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Like PilotYIP says, Skip College

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't ask Don't Tell, Won't ask, Don't care.

Again we get degrees to make HR people smile, not to really learn anything. However I suppose getting laid and getting drunk are learning experiences. BTW I feel the same way about college degrees and gays. Don't ask, don't, because I won't ask don't care. For all those have interviewed with me, did a college degree ever come up in the discussion, or your grades, or why you chose your degree field? Reminds me of my famous UAL interview question "Why did you get a "C" in Diffy Q back in 1963?". What did that have do with anything about flying an airplane. I would guess less than 1% of the pilot every took the course.

Last edited:
Again we get degrees to make HR people smile, not to really learn anything. However I suppose getting laid and getting drunk are learning experiences. BTW I feel the same way about college degrees and gays. Don't ask, don't, because I won't ask don't care. For all those have interviewed with me, did a college degree ever come up in the discussion, or your grades, or why you chose your degree field? Reminds me of my famous UAL interview question "Why did you get a "C" in Diffy Q back in 1963?". What did that have do with anything about flying an airplane. I would guess less than 1% of the pilot every took the course.

And when your company goes out of business and you're interviewing for your next job, be sure to discuss your philosophy about not needing a college degree. 9 out of 10 HR managers will tell you, "thanks for coming in today. Don't call us, we'll call you.".
While you're at it, please explain to those aspiring 121 pilots how to get to the interview without the degree (and no references to Bill Gates or Michael Dell, please.).

Yip- in aviation- whether you agree or not- any advice to not get a degree is bad advice. Why limit your options? It becomes a question of "why not?" more than "why?"

as far as your C way back- that question is all about how you answer- but they asked not bc of the material- but bc they want to know about your attitude, work ethic and discipline-
I took a lot of classes where the subject matter doesn't really apply- but the character developed in learning how to be successful in the class was valuable.

And then social skills- say what you like, but that IS a big part of the job- not just connections- but how to get along and enjoy all kinds of people is something you need to develop somewhere-

what muddies the water for the current generation is how baby-boomers don't prioritize education and how EXPENSIVE it is now- more than 2-3 times what it was back in the 90's - the debt we saddle our kids with starting out their life is inexcusably weak on our part. Just another example of the weakest generation concentrating more on pulling up the ladder behind them than paving the road in front of them...individuals are often great- but as a whole- boomers are a sad, empty bunch.

Last edited:
Besides- 'your MOM went to college'
;-)

its becoming so expensive to go to a private 4 year school you may as well go to the military, get trained in some skill as an enlisted (equiv. to a 2 year degree), get out after 4 years and get a civ job and have a reserve/guard gig. You'll be 22 no debt, start at 40K+ and have the reserves/guard green checks. As long as you settle in an area that is not too expensive (like the Carolina's) by the time your 30 you will be way ahead of someone that did the 4 year school and came out with 200K in college loans and got a job that will be downsized ect.

A great example of this would be my old neighbor in CLT. After high school he straight to the Navy. He tested well enough to get air traffic control. He trained and was active until he was 24 or 25 then got picked up by ATC (he now works CLT approach). While he was on active duty he got a 2 year (AS) degree (can't remember what it was). He joined the NC army guard and works in the JAG office. When he was my neighbor (last year) he was 30 and way ahead in terms of cash and saving than others. Plus he had 2 secure jobs. As I was moving back to PHL a few months ago he was buying his first home in the CLT area.

That's well said Yip- The difference is educated v uneducated- the educated will always have a leg up- too many think a piece of paper means something all by itself

Exactly. College is about education, not getting a job. If you want a job, go get vocational training. If you want to be educated, go to college.

The main problem is that being educated is not valued in the United States.

Interesting article. If looking into an education after college, try taking a skillls and/or aptitude test. Discover what you are realistically able to do vs. what you would like to do. "IF" you pursue a technical school, be weary of what they try to "sell you". I made the mistake of going to a local technical college in Baltimore for electronics. I had a lot of difficulty learning the material and they ended up "pushing me" through the course. They said I passed the course. I asked them how I could I have passed the course when I was getting poor grades on my tests and projects.

When choosing a post secondary education...CHOOSE WISELY!!!!!! The recession we are slowly recovering from has changed the job market forever. Many jobs that were once lucerative, have become extinct. That's one of the reasons why people in their 40's and 50's are going back to school. They are now out of jobs that won't we coming back and need to be retrained in a new career.

Good luck to all.

So the consensus seems to be that it is more desirable to get a degree....even if it's in Basket Fiber Sciences? After all, (given the necessary accreditation) an easy bull$hit degree checks the same boxes at FedEx or Delta as a more challenging field of study.

You're fooling yourself if you think airlines require/prefer a degree because it shows a higher caliber, commitment or ability to complete an objective. A degree (even in Professional Aeronautics:rolleyes:) has NOTHING to do with one's skills, judgment or professionalism in the cockpit. The bottom line; To the airlines, it is only for image. Otherwise there would be a standard above basket weaving. Yes, if you want an airline job, get a degree to check the box and greatly improve your chance of getting hired. Nevertheless, what a sad philosophy.

Last edited:
So, basically...Those without Degrees explain away all the reasons they don't/have not needed one and tabulate data explaining why they are correct.

Those with Degrees really don't care either way. They have the Degree...

Much like Penis Envy there are "Haves" and "Have Nots".

Human Nature always dictates that we want what the other person has.

Glad I had a great time in Daytona and Prescott in the 70's and now have a piece of paper to prove it.

Whoopty-Doo! And, What-Ever...

YKMKR

Latest resources

Back