like eating an elephant

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

canosoup

During my first stage check for my private I flawlessly executed each manuever the check airman requested. **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** I thought, this is a cake walk.
" Okay Captain" he says, "take me home."

hmm lets see, its the east coast of Florida..flat, undeveloped, not so easy to naviagte by the orange groves. Ive got about 5 hours in the local area, just enough to keep the wings level and the ball centered. Wait, I remember theres a blue water tower at the departure end of the runway. Head towards the coast, find it and presto!

great plan except theres an airport about 8 miles south, identical runway layout ( guess the prevailing winds are the same there to)
and some g-**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** city planner thought a blue water tower would look peachy right at the departure end as well.

I dont remember the actual conversation but I do remember trying to eek out an answer when I was accused of being retarded among other things.

Guess what? went on to pass every checkride the first time, instructing now ( with a few more people skills than my check airman), still have bad days but no bad flights.

You'll make it. Just take it one bite at a time

FSI

Are you FSI meat, my friend?

I remember the Blue Water Tower and the Fort Pierce airport confusion problem exceedingly well. The same thing happened to me when I first started there - and I had 2500 hours on you!

Don't feel bad. It happens to many FSI people. Guaranteed, do it once and you won't do it again.

Don't forget about the ag strip about ten miles west of the field where you can practice emergencies. I recall that field may be near a lake or something.

Last edited:
During my first stage check for my private I flawlessly executed each manuever the check airman requested. **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** I thought, this is a cake walk.

Were you flying out of ERAU DAB? I had a student do that exact same thing in Sep/Oct of 2001..

Latest resources

Back