Lights over the ocean southeast of JFK

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AWACoff

What are those lights over the ocean? I assume it is some kind of military deal. Flares maybe? I see them often and the duration of the orange lights varies.

These are not the lights you are looking for, go about your business, move along

What are those lights over the ocean? I assume it is some kind of military deal. Flares maybe? I see them often and the duration of the orange lights varies.

You may be looking south into New Jersey at Warren Grove Range (south and east of Lakehurst NETC and McGuire AFB and north of ACY) The flares you see are from A-10's (barnes, bradley, willow grove and MD) or F-16's (NY, VT or MD/DC - be glad your not in elementary school) or whoever else uses the range . I've seen them drop flares over the ocean too while holding to get into the range (once and they were useing the callsign "shark"). When you fly north to ISP or new england from PHL and go out over DITCH look to your right about at DITCH and you will see the range. The same thing when you return down the shark route - as you cross over the shoreline headed for VCN vor you'll go just north of ACY and south of the range - you can see it on your right.

Don't forget that off to the south lies a whole lot of Whiskey airspace that the USAF, USN, and USMC all use for night ops.

Latest resources

Back