Lights on 35 in PHL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

nethan

What's up with the lights on 35 in PHL? They have them down so far it's damn near impossible to find the runway. Easiest way now is to find the bright green taxiway centerline lighting on D and E and aim somewhere between that. I'm assuming it's because of the construction on the arrival end, but I'm not in and out of there enough to know when they turned them down.

Last edited:
Ask them to turn them up.

please - you can see the ups sort building (lights on top) miles away. Pick it up then look to the right there is 35.

Also just look for the lights on the crane(s) at the old navy ship yard then look slightly left pick up the mouth of the schuylkill (skoo-kull) river (where it feeds into the Delaware River) and hog island then slightly further left is 35.

Looking for the flashing lights on the taxiways that parallel 35 at the hold short line for 27R helps also. That's usually what I pick up first, then aim for the middle til you can see the whole runway. You no doubt pick up the airport several miles out, and you know where the runway is located on the airport. Aim for that area as well until you have it all. You'll still have plenty of time to align the aircraft if you're off a little.

I try to stay away from PHL as much as possible, so the UPS building looks like the rest of the stuff to me.

With the nice moving map in my shiny jet, getting to the runway isn't that hard. I was more just wondering why they turned down the lights.

REILS have been out for awhile, so if you don't come in all the time it's hard to find.

Yeah, what's the deal with those anyway, they were turned out a long time before construction even began. That made it really easy to find. Now I'm like lear and have to look for UPS

you can also (not a prim nav) but as a ref set the loc for 17 in so when it centers you can use it as a loc-like ref and fly it inbound on a 350 ish heading until you pick it up.

not that i ever did that in the dash or anything.

It's easy to spot when they shoot farking massive firework displays from the golf course across the river just off the extended centerline....

We had to laugh when tower had no idea about them too. "By golly, look at that! You want S-turns?!?!"

Latest resources

Back