Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AA717driver

A simpler time...
I just talked to the Lifeline mechanic in IND today. He said they will begin a big hiring spree for pilots. They are already hurting and will consider anyone with turbine rotary time. They prefer 1200 hours but are desparate.

Starting pay in the $45k range. Bk117 equipment. PM me for a name and phone number.TC

My instrument instructor is a lifeline pilot...LOVES the job. He works one week of 7 12 hour shifts and then has the next week off. Sweet job.

AA717driver said:
Starting pay in the $45k range. Bk117 equipment. PM me for a name and phone number.TC

That right there is why they're having a hard time getting pilots. It's unfortunate, and quite pathetic, that some of the most demanding helo jobs are also the lowest paying. The thing that will save them is that they're willing to take lower time guys...but, the problem there is that...well, the flying can be extremely demanding, and somebody with low time may not have built up enough experience to deal with it.

The really sad part is that Lifeline is pretty close to the average pay for these guys...so it's definitely not an isolated thing.

Helo pay

This has been coming on for years. A lot of us that would rather fly helos given the choice are in jets becasue of the huge pay discrapancy. I did an article on PHI for Pro Pilot several years ago, interviewed their top people. Best, most senior job in the house paid $50K. PHI told me they knew there was going to be a supply problem but they had no solution. And yes, those EMS jobs require a lot of experience and judgement to stay safe. (0130, raining, 500 OVC Bell 412 with a med crew shreaking at me to get them to the scene, only for the stout of heart and gray hair) Just look at the accident stats. No room for guys building time.
Don't know the solution, folks, but for those of us who can do otherwise, sadly we are doing it, usually for twice the pay or better.

ems work

That is the sad truth, I've always wanted to fly ems. I'm sure it is a fulfilling job, unfortunately because of the pay it's just not feasible financially at this time. Does anybody know what an ems pilot could realistically make? I mean with some workover etc. could you make at least 60K?

ems

Certainly not in my experience. The shift coverages are pretty set. Only extra stuff is occasional sick leave coverage. I never saw more than maybe a week a quarter. Tough deal, my friend, but we've all struggled with it and ain't there because of it.

Latest resources

Back