Lifeguard Rules

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

400A

Quick question for you lifeflight folks.

I am currently on standby to do a organ flight. I have read everything I can find on the FAA sight and see that the flight certainly qualifies for the call sign on our outbound leg. I have done them years ago in King Air 200's when speed was not an issue. My question is, do speed restrictions of 250 below 10,000 and 200 under the class B still apply. I am assuming they do since I could find nothing eliminating them. Thanks for your help.

As far as I know AIM 4-2-4(b) is the only information regarding Lifeguard call-signs. It was always my understanding that this let ATC provide priority handling (as far as holds, sequencing for landings, etc.), but in no way waived any FAR's for operations. However, I would think ATC could use the "unless otherwise authorized" clause, and lift the speed restrictions, but I'd expect to hear that in a clearance from the controller.

You do still have to follow the speed limits. I've never had ATC allow me to go fast down low when doing the lifeguard stuff, but then again, I never asked either.

Nope......... You still can’t break the law. I think the bigger question is why you would want to. How much time are you saving by going faster than 250 below 10 or 200 under B? 30 seconds? Not worth it. The whole Idea of 200 under B is because of uncontrolled traffic. So you’re screaming along at 300 kts and some poor sap in his 150 gets ran over. But holy smokes..... We had a liver that had to be there in 6 hours!! The only thing Lifeguard designation does is give you priority handling in the IFR system. I’ve had pilots not even give a crap at uncontrolled airports about it. Get in line and land. Good luck

Yup you would need to declare a medical emergency (ie the patient is about to die during the flight) to not follow things such as the speed limits, traffic patterns, ect. Otherwise it is business as usual as far as rules go. The only special treatment you get is on ATC's side for IFR priority. The airliners get to hold while you get the first available space to land for example.)

Yup you would need to declare a medical emergency (ie the patient is about to die during the flight) to not follow things such as the speed limits, traffic patterns, etc. Otherwise it is business as usual as far as rules go. The only special treatment you get is on ATC's side for IFR priority. The airliners get to hold while you get the first available space to land for example.)

As for airliners holding for you, it depends on the controller. Many years ago I was going into MIA as a lifeguard flight. I was placed #2 behind an Eastern L1011 (that tell you how long ago it was?) The Eastern Captain told the controller twice that he could sidestep to the Left runway and the controller told Eastern very bluntly to continue.

When I have carried hearts for transplant, I have always called for my clearance early and informed Clearance delivery that we were a lifeguard and that we need priority handling as we were carrying a heart. In every case the controllers have given me as much priority as I could handle and more. As for speed limits on more than one occasion ATC has cleared me for best forward speed without my asking for it. It is pretty much public knowledge now a days that you only have 6 hours to deal with on a heart.

Latest resources

Back