Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

guido411

ShesGoneFromSucktoBLOW!!
Of the Part 91 operators that read this thread, how many of you ever carry a life raft?

For those that do, do you rent or own?

How often per year is it needed?

Do you have it inspected, how often, and at what cost?

Is there any resale value to a used raft and approximately what percent can be recoupped?

We've rented rafts in the past and it's an expensive hassle. We rent one once or twice a year, trying to get dollar figures together to see if I can justify buying one. Thx

Boss just bought a refurbed 10pax with emergency kit. $5,000. Good thing I am not paying for it.
If going to Bahamas/Carib, I suggest renting from Volo in FPR. I can't remember the rates, but heard they are reasonable.

We own ours. Only use it once or twice a year. Shop around and good used ones can be found. Yes thay do have to be inspected and recertified. We use Eastern Marine in Miami. Never had any issues with them.

If going to Bahamas/Carib, I suggest renting from Volo in FPR.
This would be ok if we went to the Bahamas from FL, typically we go from the northeast though. Or Cancuun from the south.

How do you go about finding somebody to recertify your raft? I doubt there's anybody in the midle of the US that does it which still means we would have to ship it and HazMat shipping gets spendy quick.

Of the Part 91 operators that read this thread, how many of you ever carry a life raft?

For those that do, do you rent or own?

How often per year is it needed?

Do you have it inspected, how often, and at what cost?

Is there any resale value to a used raft and approximately what percent can be recoupped?

We've rented rafts in the past and it's an expensive hassle. We rent one once or twice a year, trying to get dollar figures together to see if I can justify buying one. Thx

We carry a Winslow Ultima 10/15 in the plane as standard equipment. It comes out only for the 36 month recert, which costs about a grand if I recall.

The raft is expensive, but you won't think so if you ever have to use it, and if you ever do have to use it, this is the one you want to be in. Period!

A raft can also save your bacon when you're getting ready to depart the NE or South FL, and the overland routes close and only those equipped for the blue-water routes can go. Can't tell you how many times that has happened.

Get your own raft...you won't be sorry.

We need a raft once a year and we rent from a company here in Dallas. We own the vests and they have to be reinspected every 5 years. I send them to the same company in Dallas.

We own one and it is nice not having to deal with the hassle of renting one (plus what happens if you are over Lake Saylorville and both engines quit). Elliott's sent it out for reinspection last time it was due, I have no idea what the cost was to recertify it though.

I had a raft re-certified a couple years ago along with the vest (9 or 10) and I think it was around 1,200-1,500 dollars for all.

Its a shop in Broussard, LA (Lafayette) that caters to the offshore helo industry. If you want their info let me know and I will get it for you. Dont recall their name, I would have to go there which is only about 5 min from my house.

Regardless of where you are located there should be some sort of survival supply company within reasonable distance. Find one and they should be able to help or guide you in the right direction.

cf

(plus what happens if you are over Lake Saylorville and both engines quit).

Now that made me laugh!

Will have to ask Elliott's about their cost. Just having somebody else to deal with the shipping would be nice.

I doubt there's anybody in the midle of the US that does it which still means we would have to ship it and HazMat shipping gets spendy quick.

Will have to ask Elliott's about their cost. Just having somebody else to deal with the shipping would be nice.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are worried about the shipping cost, you can't afford a raft, let alone an airplane. Seriously.

;)

Latest resources

Back