Life on the Skywest Brasilia

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

I never flew the Brasilia but I thought it would have been interesting/fun. I've heard it is over-engineered. I now fly the jet version (since flight school - no other regional type in my background) out of the Midwest but I was wondering about life on the Skywest Brasilia flying around California.

For those pilots at Skywest who fly it:

1. Is it a fun airplane to fly?

2. Are they well equipped? EFIS? I realize they are pretty old.

3. How many sectors do you fly typically per day?

4. Is it fun to fly around SoCal or does it get old quickly (for those based in the area)?

5. Do the SoCal based pilots get to fly up around NorCal and vice versa or do you stay in the area?

I am not leaving my job for awhile but I always thought flying around Cali would be interesting and fun (if you can afford it). Flying around the Midwest can be boring at times.

PMs are welcome too.

Would somebody please tell us what it's like to fly around California on 1500 bucks per month? Do you use tents or RVs?

Would somebody please tell us what it's like to fly around California on 1500 bucks per month? Do you use tents or RVs?

I don't think there's anyone there making 1st year pay right now...I might be mistaken though.

Wachoo talkin' bout? You don't even know if the autopilot turns off during an engine failure. nice systems knowledge!
Looser!
PBR
Howz that curry taint?

I don't think there's anyone there making 1st year pay right now...I might be mistaken though.

Are you kidding? There are lots of people living on that. Of course there college students and surfers. But you can get a nice room at the beach here in San Diego. You probably could live like a king in Fresno on that.

I remember reading an article in the Santa Barbara newspaper about a Brazilia F/O that lived on the beach in a tent because he could not afford to rent an apartment. Shortly after the article came out, he was apparently told to get an apartment or find a new job.

Since no one else has, I'll answer your questions. I flew the Brasilia for 4.5 years based in Fresno. It has been 5 years since I've set foot on one, but if I could I'd fly one for a trip every couple of months. I miss some things about it.

1. Yes. I think it is a fun plane to fly. You sure use the rudder trim a lot but get used to it quickly.

2. Well equipped for a turboprop. Mostly EFIS, not all when I was flying it. I think they all have FMS now.

3. How many sectors per day? A lot. I recently found an old trip sheet from my Brasilia days, it was a 4 day trip with 28 legs. Many 8 and 6 leg days. Especially in SoCal we would do all those very short legs like LAX-SNA, LAX-ONT, LAX-OXR. I recall doing 8 legs days that credited just over 4 hours of pay.

4. I think it was fun to fly around SoCal. Of course it was a lot of work for the money. I recall getting seven TAs on a flight from LAX-SNA (about 15 mins). You really have to keep your eyes open.

5. Not sure how it is now but they used to mix. I was in FAT, so we would really mix between NorCal, getting up into the PDX and SEA areas occasionally, and SoCal. We would also flow into the SLC system via St George.

In my time on the Bro, the only de-icing I ever did was spraying off frost in the mornings. I stayed in the same time zone 95% of the time and I didn't carry a jacket 9 months of the year. We had some great overnights in SBA, SBP, SAN, ACV (something special in the air up there). I think the crews on the Bro were more fun. Maybe it was just more junior and a younger group, but there seemed to be better camaraderie on the Bro. If things were fair the Bro guys would get paid the most since they do the most work.

Last edited:
I never flew in SoCal, but I did fly the Brazildo quite a bit. I thought it was fun to fly, maneuverable, and not too easy to land. If you grease it on Betty coos (in her sexy voice) "Nice landing, Captain!" Not many folks got a chance to hear that, though.

Compared to jet aircraft, the Brazildo is more tiresome for multileg days. I think this has to do with all that vibration. If memory serves me correctly, one airline was sued by a concerned mother because her 13 year old daughter, well, suffered some interesting side effects from all of that vibration. Perhaps some erstwhile forum member can repost the thread that dealt with this.

This airplane also has an APU, something that comes in handy when dealing with long ground delays and such. Go ask the Saab guys what they think about that. The lav is located directly behind the FO's seat bulkhead, which is a mixed blessing. Any unidentifiable odors in the cockpit can be attributed to the lav. Also, no walk of shame.

I'd gladly fly the E120 again if it meant no commuting.

Latest resources

Back