Life on reserve At NWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

6string

If one were to get hired, what kinda schedule might a junior reservist expect? Tryin' to get a handle on the QOL before committing too much time on the process.

Thanks,

SIX

If one were to get hired, what kinda schedule might a junior reservist expect? Tryin' to get a handle on the QOL before committing too much time on the process.

Thanks,

SIX

This month is WAY better than last month and I hope it is a sign of how it will be for a bit. I am currently FO on the DC9 reserve. Last month I timed out on the 25th with 87 hrs.

This month, I have flown 5 days so far (36 hrs credit with maybe 13 hrs actually flying), and I will be surprised if I get another trip this month. I live in base so this is great for me. I would assume that this will change over time as they get a better handle on staffing the various aircraft. Currently, the 9 is overloaded with FO's due to the fact that everyone coming back from furlough is going into the 9 (I think this just changed for Sept as I believe that some are going right into the bus).

Hope this helps.

Heyas,

This months position award dumped a lot of people out of the -9 into reserve positions on other AC, mostly to the 320 reserve position.

Speculation is that the company is trying to empty out the "preference up" list so they can put new hires in the bus.

FWIW...

Nu

Open Time

They cut the schedule in August to avoid cancellations, so there wasn't much open time. This is the first month this year that I haven't flown the monthly max.

Next month is the first month we will not have zero open time after bidding, so there is more open time in September than August. I think we will be flying more.

What is the guaranteed days offs for reserves? How about long call vs. short call times? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

What is the guaranteed days offs for reserves? How about long call vs. short call times?

12 off in a 31 day bid month, 11 in 30 or less.

Long call I believe is 10 hours. Short call is: 3 hours notice prior to departure time, you are expected to make normal check-in time (1 hour prior to push, so basically 2 hours). Less than 3 but more than 2:30, something like you are to make "best effort" to make normal check in time. Less than 2:30 notice, best effort to make it there for an on time departure.........

I was not referencing the contract on the short call so I could be off a little.

If you live in base, reserve is much more palatable (sp?) than commuting. I have had 4 reserve days so far this month where they didn't use me, and another 3 or 4 that were just day trips, so home at night in my own bed.

As others said, there are a few changes (zero open time, movement to the 320) that may change the reserve picture.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that at NWA you are a "hard" reserve or regular lineholder: i.e. that is a position you bid for. Is that correct?

Most airlines (DAL included) do not specifically assign reserve vice regular status for bidding purposes. It just usually falls out that all the regular lines go to the more senior guys for all the obvious reasons.

However at DAL anyone can bid on a reserve line if he or she wished to. I used to do that myself a few years ago when we had a better reserve system. I would bid reserve about one month out of every four, then go back to bidding regular lines.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that at NWA you are a "hard" reserve or regular lineholder: i.e. that is a position you bid for. Is that correct?

You are correct. You bid for reserve or block (line holder). The December APA (Advanced Placement Award??) just came out on August 20. You can also put in a temporary bid just prior to each month in order to try and temp position either a different base or between reserve and block.

There are no buildup lines or anything like that, you know in advance if you are a block or reserve line holder.

Latest resources

Back