Life @ Flight Options

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

matchthehatch

I have an interview shortly, and, although not offered a job yet, I do want to make an informed decision if I am. I've searched past posts, but have several questions if some of you would be so kind as to answer them.

I'm currently a 135 captain, furloughed airline. (No, I don't intend to return.) One of the few things I like about my present job is that I'm able to run the cockpit in a way that fosters mutual respect between myself and the person who I'm flying with. I suppose my concern is that I get paired up with a crusty old-timer who doesn't share that same philosophy. (Im only using that pilot type as an example - I've been there.) I'd like to hear about the cockpit culture at Flight Options such as - leg swapping, what happens if you are paired with a guy who you find intolerable, and is there, generally, a philosophy that FO's are treated as the professionals they are.

Is the pilot-management relationship as non-adversarial as I've heard? How does insurance work? I've heard something about an allowance. What will a pilot with a family pay in premiums? How about the 401K? I've seen on Fracstats that there is a 100% match? Sounds too good to believe, but it's got to be better than my current 401K. Oh yeah, I don't have one.

About the interview - Is there a sim eval for all pilots? Is the interview with Eric or with someone else? Technical or not?

Anything else that anyone would be so kind as to add would certainly be appreciated. Again - I hope that I get to make this decision, although if offered a job, I think I already have.

Thanks much!

Flight Options Questions

I will try my best to help you out a bit:

Cockpit Culture:

My impression is that very very few people have flown with someone they can't get along with. If you were to have a problem all you would have to do is talk with your program manager to get things changed. Chances are you will not have been the first to have a problem with the person. As far as seat swapping, I will only speak to the Beechjet program as that is the one that I'm in. SIC's may fly legs with passengers from the right seat from day one, if the captain ok's it. After 100 hours in type, the SIC may sit in the left seat on empty legs, After 250 hours the SIC's may sit left seat with pax's. The guy I fly with we trade off days. Works great for us.

You Asked: "Is the pilot-management relationship as non-adversarial as I've heard?" I think so. I have always been able to speak freely with management about issues that I have had. The hardest part is getting a hold of them sometimes. Management appears to be doing all they can to improve quality of life IMHO.

You Asked: "How does insurance work? I've heard something about an allowance. What will a pilot with a family pay in premiums?" Someone with a manual on them will have to jump in here with the exact amounts, but family medical is around $150.00 a month, good overall plan, stay in network and you will not even have co-payments, paid medicals as well. The allowance is what is called the benefit credit. I think it is around $50.00 a month, once you select all your benefits, it takes that amount off the total.

You Asked: "How about the 401K? I've seen on Fracstats that there is a 100% match?" I believe it is 100% up to 4%, someone with a manual on them confirm.

You Asked: "Is there a sim eval for all pilots? Is the interview with Eric or with someone else? Technical or not?" When I was hired I did not have to do a sim eval (3+ years ago), but yes I think everyone does it now with Bob, he is a great guy. From what I have heard it is really basic. You will interview with one of the program managers, it is technical. You would do yourself some good by looking at the approach charts for ASE and EGE, understand fully and be prepard to discuss climb gradients. When I did my interview, all of the technical questions came right off those charts.

Hope this helps & good luck!

Great stuff. Thanks for taking the time to give me such good info.

match,

nice fish. where did you catch him??

Colorado by any chance?

Thanks for asking. That fish was downloaded from the internet. My current avatar (just updated it) is a picture of a 20" brown I caught last Friday on the Madison in Montana. Definitely a plus to corporate/charter.

I've only had a chance to fish Colorado twice. Caught a nice 'bow on the Eagle last year, got skunked the next day.

matchthehatch

How long between app and call? I recently applied with a frends rec.

Also are you typed from the get go?

SIC's may fly legs with passengers from the right seat from day one, if the captain ok's it. After 100 hours in type, the SIC may sit in the left seat on empty legs, After 250 hours the SIC's may sit left seat with pax's.

I must make a correction here. Under NO circumstance, except for somebody going through Captain IOE with a Check Airman, is a First Officer allowed to occupy the left seat with passengers on board! It is published in the company SOPs on page 23 - look at it for yourself. If you are a Captain, do NOT let a First Officer occupy the left seat with pax - and if you are a First Officer, do NOT sit in that seat with pax on board. You will get yourself in trouble.

I may not agree with the rule, but I am not going to risk my job by letting the First Officer fly pax from the left seat.

Wrong, In the beechjet and Hawker programs this is the case, the program managers have decided that the first officer can fly with pax from the left seat, in fact I still have the voice mail from my program manager saved, we did it at travel air, and the reason that the program managers have done this here is that there are very few empty legs, so that is why, also it is going to change fleet wide soon, there are many rules that are written in the company manual that are not directly followed due to changes that are happening faster than they can write the change in, so for the most part, who cares if the fo pilots from the left seat with pax, both pilots get the same training, and we will soon be under part 135 where everyone will be current every 6 months

Funny thing is, FracPilot, is that my SOPs seem to say that it is up to the PMs discretion to make the seat swapping rules. You should read them.

Latest resources

Back