Life Expectancy of a KDVT Controller?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fearless Tower

Had the occasion to fly in/out of Phoenix Deer Valley a couple times the past month and all I can say is holy crap! How does anyone function there? I don't even think New York Approach controllers sound that stressed.

How long do the tower controllers last there?

I don't know. I frequent that airport in the jet and its crazy. Certainly good for a few RA's going in and at least one going out. Too make matters worse, everyone there is in training, pilots AND controllers. It's also one of the busiest airports in the country.

I hate that place!

Nothing like being number 6 for departure behind 5 Piper Warriors.

And what is with the crazy departure instructions?

"Vectors to join the PXR 006 radial track that to the INW 216, track that to INW, then as filed."

None of that is on any chart that I can find. I have been issued this several times. Anybody ever heard of an RNAV DP?

As much traffic as that place has, the last thing the Non-flying Pilot should be doing is be "head down" dialing up different radials

Check the departures out of SDL (I think BANYO4 or Scottsdale 5). They are as you describe. They just end up putting you on the SDL departure procedures to meet up with the other traffic you have to fit with.

DVT is "wery" difficult because of the controllers trying to make sense of the language barrier at one of the busiest airports in the country. I have my airplane on the North side - luckily I can usually sneak out avoiding the Pan Am training aircraft on the big runway. However I NEVER file IFR out of there - always VFR and pick up clearance in the air. You can be waiting for a lifetime.

I flat-out refuse to go there. Me and a student were going in for a touch and go a while back. We were cleared touch and go, but on the roll, the controller told us to "turn right, contact ground."

Well, I didn't want to take off since she obviously thought that we were a full stop, so I rolled off and asked for a taxiback.

Sat in that damned line for 40 minutes....and got to see a PamAm solo student TIPH after being told to hold short.

I have felt your pain. I am based there and at best the place is a zoo. Don't know how many times i've been cleared to land and was then cut off by a Pan Am plane the tower didn't even know was there. Or how many times I've had to go around because the warrior in front of me had to use 6,800ft of runway to get down and stopped.

20Pilot,

You are right those radials are on the BANYO FOUR out of SDL. Thanks, that will make life alot easier next time I have to go out of there.

(Assuming I dont end up as a smoking hole in the ground after trading paint with a Warrior)

Don't miss having to deal with little prop trainers. Don't miss it at all. ATL is killing us right now. I want to be back on top. No points for 2nd place right?

Latest resources

Back