Life at PSA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilotusnow

Lookin for some feedback on the QOL and work conditions at PSA.

I am considering applying in the spring.
What do they pay during training and is it a
single occupancy hotel situation.

Basically, do you like working there?

Thanks for the info.

Try using the search function above and type in PSA all the answers should be in many previous threads

I've been at PSA for about 5 months and so far it has worked out better than expected because I live in CLT and I'm based in CLT.

PSA has 3 bases(CLT, TYS, DAY)

CLT typical is the senority base...I got it while still in ground school. You can plan on sitting reserve for 4-5 months in CLT, 2-3 months in TYS and DAY. Reserve is not a big deal as long as you live in base.

Training

Ground school is 30 days and is held in Dayton, OH. You will stay at the hotel attached to the training center in a single room. It's definitely not the Hilton but it's clean and it's free. During training you will recieve your guarantee (72hrs X $22.91) plus around $34/day in per diem. You will probably go to the sim in CLT for 2 weeks, then 25hrs min of IOE.

Overall, if you live in domicle QOL goes up 1000%. Right now you can expect an upgrade of 1.5-2 years. PSA is hiring like crazy...right now there are approx. 560 pilots in the company, approx 10/month are leaving, and they are hiring between 30-40/month through 08. This place is primed to grow and there is a good chance that PSA will get more 700s and maybe add 900s in 08 if they get the pay right. This is just my opinion, but I think mainline is fed up with Mesa and will drastically reduce their flying in 08 which will allow for PSA to grow.

I've been at PSA for about 5 months and so far it has worked out better than expected because I live in CLT and I'm based in CLT.

PSA has 3 bases(CLT, TYS, DAY)

CLT typical is the senority base...I got it while still in ground school. You can plan on sitting reserve for 4-5 months in CLT, 2-3 months in TYS and DAY. Reserve is not a big deal as long as you live in base.

Training

Ground school is 30 days and is held in Dayton, OH. You will stay at the hotel attached to the training center in a single room. It's definitely not the Hilton but it's clean and it's free. During training you will recieve your guarantee (72hrs X $22.91) plus around $34/day in per diem. You will probably go to the sim in CLT for 2 weeks, then 25hrs min of IOE.

Overall, if you live in domicle QOL goes up 1000%. Right now you can expect an upgrade of 1.5-2 years. PSA is hiring like crazy...right now there are approx. 560 pilots in the company, approx 10/month are leaving, and they are hiring between 30-40/month through 08. This place is primed to grow and there is a good chance that PSA will get more 700s and maybe add 900s in 08 if they get the pay right. This is just my opinion, but I think mainline is fed up with Mesa and will drastically reduce their flying in 08 which will allow for PSA to grow.

Keep drinking the cool aid. I would think after being here over 5 months you would have a more realistic view of what life is like at PSA.

First i don't think anyone here has upgraded with less than 3 years seniority. Even if they upgrade 70 people they will all have 3 years on property.

As for new airplanes...No idea. Maybe or maybe not. All i know is in 2006 we voted NO for the pay rate that management proposed to us. They demanded way too much and no $$$.

Just come to PSA, work hard, try to live with the schedules and get your time to move on. The ceo himself said he wouldn't like us to get too comfortable here. Costs them too much money. You might get a flowthru to mainline you might not. Our contract is up in 2009, kindly extended by the previous MEC. Expect a new contract in 2013.

Our contract is up in 2009, kindly extended by the previous MEC. Expect a new contract in 2013.

Who may become our new MEC again. Yeah, it's that kind of place.

That's ok though. Once all the JJs go back we are going to have to find something new to complain about.

What is QOL?? Can we get some of that in the new contract, it sounds good! Upgrade is finally down to 3 1/2 years. PSA is a good place to go if you can't go anywhere else! Ok, OK it's better than MESA.

With HR4343 now law (as of yesterday,) I can think of a few gems who are now going to fly another five years. Oh, the wealth of knowledge they'll be able to spread to our new pilots!

Hotels are single occupancy on the road and training.

Ex j-41 hit the nail on the head as far as getting your time and leaving.

In my opinion upgrade is going to drop fast. Probably to 1.5 years. Maybe less for those who meet ATP mins. We are hiring a lot of 200 hour, 19 year old F/Os.

If you have 1900 hours I don't know why you'd want to come here frankly. ASA's new contract sounds pretty sweet.

If you do come here know this. They can force you to work on your day off 10 times per year. Don't be surprised when they add a round trip at the end of your last day.

I knew what I was getting into when I came here. I wanted to fly my butt off so I could leave. And when we were short staffed I was, and was loving it. You can make a lot of money due to our overtime rules, picking up flying on your days off. Right now we are over staffed, but once the J4Js are all gone, and some of our guys leave for mainline that will fix itself (I think).

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back