• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

LGA Ground ATC Does NOT Like SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I arrived in LGA on Last Sunday from DEN and the flight was 15 minutes early. The captain said there was another plane at the gate and we would have to hold, we stayed on the taxiway at the intersection for the C gates; and after 15 minutes the plane had to taxi further along the taxiway. In the mean time the SWA plane at C4 exited the the gate and proceeded to the assigned runway. The captain again came on the intercom to tell us he had to wait for a US Air plane to be towed and also a JB plane to leave the alleyway. He said he had no idea why "ground control" was making him wait.
Instead on being 15 early we ended up 25 minutes late to the gate.
The LGA ground guys must have some issue with SWA as this is not the first time this has happened.( I travel into LGA every two weeks same time)
Maybe we need to get up a collection for their Christmas fund (sorry to be politically correct it should be Holiday fund) - NO IT'S still Christmas

I thought this board was for "airline types" to discuss amongst "airline only types".

Good thing only a handful of passengers know of this place, otherwise we'd be less efficient in our complaining about life.

I thought this board was for "airline types" to discuss amongst "airline only types".

Good thing only a handful of passengers know of this place, otherwise we'd be less efficient in our complaining about life.

The original poster is a passenger complaining yet he has 5000 hours and a type rating in every aircraft ever made. Seems the passenger crowd is growing and the tall tales with it.

Yup . . . . Ernest Gann wrote about the opening of LGA in "Fate is the Hunter". To paraphrase, LGA, DCA and MDW were "state of the art" at the time, and the standard to which new airports would all strive to emulate. :laugh:

That book gets better every time I read it. I try to break it out every couple of years . . . Surprising how little has changed in the industry since the 1930's.

+1 and they had plenty long runways for those DC-3's!

I arrived in LGA on Last Sunday from DEN and the flight was 15 minutes early. The captain said there was another plane at the gate and we would have to hold, we stayed on the taxiway at the intersection for the C gates; and after 15 minutes the plane had to taxi further along the taxiway. In the mean time the SWA plane at C4 exited the the gate and proceeded to the assigned runway. The captain again came on the intercom to tell us he had to wait for a US Air plane to be towed and also a JB plane to leave the alleyway. He said he had no idea why "ground control" was making him wait.
Instead on being 15 early we ended up 25 minutes late to the gate.
The LGA ground guys must have some issue with SWA as this is not the first time this has happened.( I travel into LGA every two weeks same time)
Maybe we need to get up a collection for their Christmas fund (sorry to be politically correct it should be Holiday fund) - NO IT'S still Christmas

You did not felt the LUV at LGA?, obviously not. Yeap , that's New York(LGA). Although I find most New Yorkers to be friendly. Loud but friendly.

Yup . . . . Ernest Gann wrote about the opening of LGA in "Fate is the Hunter". To paraphrase, LGA, DCA and MDW were "state of the art" at the time, and the standard to which new airports would all strive to emulate. :laugh:

That book gets better every time I read it. I try to break it out every couple of years . . . Surprising how little has changed in the industry since the 1930's.
you have to reread it every few years? You a goldfish or something?

I'll never forget the ATC conversation during the first few days of SWA ops in LGA. Typical delays for departure with like 20-30 in line for RWY13, traffic arriving on RWY4. SWA Hero pipes up on freq... "LGA ground, this is Southwest 123, we'd like to request opposite direction departure for RWY31 to help speed things up." LGA ground controller almost fell out of his chair laughing says "Southwest 123, taxi bravo and hold short of hotel. Youre number 35 for departure, welcome to LaGuaaaaaadia."

Latest resources

Back