Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Letters of Rec, how many, what types, etc.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Way2Broke

How many letters of Rec are too many and which ones would you use? What is a good balance of the types of people to have them written by? Who wrote yours?

Right now I have six with the option to get a few more
-One from the Chief Flight instructor of the school I instructed at for two years
-One from a NetJets Captain that has more or less been my pilot mentor, but have only flown small planes with.
-One from a Captain that I flew with at a Regional carrier.
-One from a retired Regional Captain (17 years) with military experience that I have known since I was 3 years old, but I never flew with.
-Three from line pilots at a company that I am thinking about applying with. The problem with the internals is that I have only actually flown with one of them, although I have worked with two of them at flying jobs. The other one is just a friend.

The ones I might be able to get include a Legacy Captain, My current Chief Pilot, and a LCC Captain. (By asking for the one from my CP he would know that I am looking for a new job)

Which ones would you use? Would you get any of the possible ones? Should I trash any of these? Thanks for the advise. (Resume Writer are you out there?)

Last edited:
You would definitely want to include the one from your former Chief instructor. The title would carry plenty of weight.

Recommendation letters should for the most part come from those you have flown with, so previous captains are a good bet. The opinions of those who are in the position to be constantly evaluating pilots would be valuable. I would also recommend one that would serve as a "character witness" of sorts since there's that clause in the ATP requirements about being of "good moral character."

While it may send up red flags to ask your current CP for a letter, you may consider asking a check airman or instructor pilot for your company. If you've got a good working relationship with a Federale, it may not be a bad idea to get a letter from there.

You should probably limit the number of letters you send to 3 or 4. Any more than that and the envelope begins to resemble a pillow and the HR folks will get nervous.

There is a point where it is overkill, I say three, no more than four. Current boss, and chief instructor would be great, along with an internal from the company you are applying with if possible would be great.

Latest resources

Back