Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CUEBOAT

HomeBaseBKLYN
I have been asked to write a letter of recommendation, and I have never done this before. Can someone please e-mail me [email protected] or PM with a copy of an LOR one for a really good pilot & employee.
thank you

Quinn S. Kurz

Ok everyone, take a look at the "negative" recommendation letter at the monster.com site! The person who wrote it is looking for legal action! :) Geez, with friends like that, who needs enemies??

The information is pretty dead-on in the article they have written. However, depending upon how you know the person, and the nature of the company to which they are applying, will dictate how you address the candidate's name in the letter. It could be Joe or it could be Mr. Doe.

Kathy

LOR form

Try this:

Dear (name of pilot recruiter):

I first became acquainted with Joe Blow when he was my flight student at Acme Aviation University. Joe was an excellent student and earned an "A" in Acme's instrument rating course. Later, Joe was hired at Acme as a flight instructor and after building flight experience at Acme was hired at Unsafe Air Freight, where we reunited. I was a Captain on the Beech 99 at the time and Joe was my first officer for many runs. Joe has since upgraded to Captain on the Beech 99 at Unsafe.

Having flown with Joe Blow first as my flight student and then as my First Officer, I can attest to his superior abilities as a pilot. Joe is a quick learner and works well with people. Above all, Joe Blow is a hard worker and loves aviation. I am confident that Joe Blow will be a fine addition to your company. I recommend him highly for hire as a Flight Officer.

Sincerely,

Cueboat

Monster.com's LOR is a "Monster"

Here's the letter:

Letter of Recommendation for Lisa Johnson

August 27, 1998

To Whom It May Concern:

Lisa Johnson was employed by E-Center as a Web Developer from June 10, 1998, to August 22, 1998. Her responsibilities included converting Photoshop mock-ups to HTML, implementing CGI scripts, and creating interactive DHTML features. During her time with us, Lisa showed herself to be a less than ideal employee.

Although much of the work Lisa completed was satisfactory, most of her assignments were finished after stated deadlines. Many of her programs contained multiple errors. When her superiors offered her constructive criticism, she showed little desire to improve and demonstrated an overall resistance to any sort of critique of her work. Lisa's attitude in the workplace appears to be her major shortcoming.

Lisa may have the potential to become an excellent programmer, however, her reluctance to accept criticism prevents her from becoming such. I would hesitate to recommend Lisa for any job where she might be required to accept commentary on her performance or be expected to show signs of improvement. She does have the ability to complete basic programming projects.

This letter is a travesty. It's obvious to me from the dates of employment that Lisa either was canned or was asked to resign (same difference). If this is the best "recommendation" that can be given, it should not be given at all. A "reputable" organization such as monster.com should not be dispensing such advice.

This is a good thread and timely for me as well, as I have to write an LOR for one of our jump pilots.

What is the protocol? Is it ok to send the LOR I write to the person that asked me to write it, in the form of a MS-Word attachment?

I understand an LOR is probably best coming from an aviator. How about from someone I have known for a long time and worked with in a volunteer capacity as well as being in an avitaion environment. Would this be acceptable?

FN FAL said:
What is the protocol? Is it ok to send the LOR I write to the person that asked me to write it, in the form of a MS-Word attachment?
I would ask the person in what form he/she prefers it. Some people will say they'll sign whatever you write. Some prefer to write their own. The latter usually dawdle around and might never write the letter altogether unless you push it, so choose your references carefully.

bobbysamd said:
I would ask the person in what form he/she prefers it. Some people will say they'll sign whatever you write. Some prefer to write their own. The latter usually dawdle around and might never write the letter altogether unless you push it, so choose your references carefully.
Thanks, Bobby...I'm writing the LOR for someone that needs a reference to apply to airlines. He's a pretty good kid and a darned good pilot...so I just need to know if I should print one out and sign it or just put on a MS Word attachment and E-mail it to him.

Latest resources

Back