• Start date
  • Watchers 18

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Its much easier to be a keyboard commando than it is to actually participate & contribute to the benefit of a pilot group...

I don't know how you can click submit after typing something as idoitic as this statement. Whatever drugs you are on, you either took too much or not enough.

This is not idiotic at all. ALPA national only gets $2 million per year from the ASA pilot group. ASA ALPA spends over $4 million per year....even more during contract negotiations. You do the math.

Good luck running an in-house union on $1 million/year. Ever heard of the concept of "economies of scale?" ROFLMFAO!!!

I have more faith in ASA pilots than I do in ALPA. There is nothing ALPA does for us that we can not do for ourselves. This change takes a lot of work and energy. That is why it has never taken flight before. It's not personal toward any Reps or the MEC. I just think it may be time for a change. Southwest pilots may be able to help with this also. I will research the components of an in-house union and see which elements may be of value to ASA.

This is not idiotic at all. ALPA national only gets $2 million per year from the ASA pilot group. ASA ALPA spends over $4 million per year....even more during contract negotiations. You do the math.

Good luck running an in-house union on $1 million/year. Ever heard of the concept of "economies of scale?" ROFLMFAO!!!

If ALPA is not about the money, why don't they give all the pilots a break during these hard economic times and lower the dues from 1.9% to 1.8% then?

Of course they care about our dues. Any union organization seeks to maximize its revenue.

Last edited:
I have more faith in ASA pilots than I do in ALPA. There is nothing ALPA does for us that we can not do for ourselves. This change takes a lot of work and energy. That is why it has never taken flight before. It's not personal toward any Reps or the MEC. I just think it may be time for a change. Southwest pilots may be able to help with this also. I will research the components of an in-house union and see which elements may be of value to ASA.

-I think I have sniffed this guy out already.... He is the one who writes an Anti-ALPA/Anti-Union letter to the editor to Aviation Week and USA Today twice a month.

-If this is who I think it is, he darn sure is not on our side-he is still trying to hose every last one of us.

I have never needed or used the legal/medical coverage at ALPA. I think most pilots never use it. So we are paying for services that are used by a few. That is an over payment right there. 1700 pilots multilpied by an average salary of $60,000 a year, multiplied by 1% (half of ALPA Dues) = $1,020,000. Yes, that is over one million dollars a year. ALPA is a scam. One million dollars a year buys a lot more coverage for medical and legal issues than ALPA provides. That tired old justification for keeping ALPA has expired. My god, that's a full time doctor and lawyer on call 24 hours a day! With money left over. Do the math. We are paying the bills for ALPA pilots at the majors. F those guys. They make twice as much. Let's start thinking of ASA pilots, We don't need ALPA

Sunlitpath,

Are you running for a union position at the next election?

Do you know what it cost to run a union?

Do you have Health and Auto insurance?

Ask a pilot who needed ALPA Medical or Legal help. In stead of saying "I think most pilots never use it."

Having a Physician and a Lawyer at your disposal 24hrs a day will cost you half a million.

Now having said that, ALPA is screwed up. Has National represented us fairly Hell No!

Right now I don't have much faith in our elected reps! It's time for ALL of them to GO.

It's time for a change top to bottom!

We need a Brad Holt in our own union leadership!

But I'm not ready to get rid of ALPA yet.

701EV

If we have an in-house union, at least the decisions we make will be our own, along with any mistakes.

Your decisions (and mistakes) are already your own. ALPA national doesn't make decisions for you, as much as you wish they did just so you could pass the buck. :rolleyes:

Uh oh! Somebody who actually has facts! I'm sure sunlitpath will just ignore them, of course.

Latest resources

Back