• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Let's say you had a giant treadmill with an airplane on it

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How about this one. You take off in a tail wind, as you increase forward speed the tail wind also increases to match your forward speed, Aircraft 10 KIAS, Tail wind 10 Knots, seconds later aircraft 20 KIAS, Tail wind 20 Knots, several more seconds later Aircraft 100 knots, Tail wind 100 knots. Would the aircraft take off?

I think you might have written the question wrong. KIAS is indicated airspeed, and if you have indicated airspeed you have relative wind flowing into the pitot tube and therefore across the wings. With indicated airspeed you generate lift, with enough of that stuff you will fly.

I think you might have written the question wrong. KIAS is indicated airspeed, and if you have indicated airspeed you have relative wind flowing into the pitot tube and therefore across the wings. With indicated airspeed you generate lift, with enough of that stuff you will fly.

Should have been ground speed not KIAS, you posted it before I could finish the edit.

The difinitive answer is NO, no takeoff!!!!

Here's why...

The question clearly stated that the relative position is maintained constant. This is the key thing!!! The people who think that it'll take off and are using the rationale that the airplane will move forward based on the fact that the airplane will be propelled despite the treadmill. That's what would happen in reality, but it's not what was specified in the question.
The question specifically stated that the airplane MAINTAINED ITS RELATIVE POSITION!!!

This scenario is best simulated by a float plane trying to take off against a raging current. If the float plane was doing 50 knots of speed through the water but the current was also 50 knots then the float plane would have zero knots of relative motion, therefore the wings of the stationary airplane would not be moving too, thereby producing zero lift.

To all you guys saying people like FEDEX were stupid, you're the dumb ones, there's no way that the airplane would get airborne, NO WAY AT ALL, given that the question specifically said that there was no relative motion.

Dopey mofo's

I'm sucked in because I starting to have a hard time telling who believes what. . .

Just because someone asks a question, it doesn't mean the question itself is valid. The question has two mutually exclusive states.

If you begin to move and the plane goes faster, you could takeoff.

However, if you are in the
same relative position and maintaining the aircraft's relative position, you will not fly.

Bingo!!!!!!!!!
I'm glad someone else understands what the F**K's going on here...
The question is flawed. As stated, it wouldn't fly, but if the plane started moving, it would.

Anyone who thinks that if the plane stayed in the same position on the treadmill and would still lift off is a complete dumbass and slipped through the cracks to get his pilot's license and/or college degree!!!!! (and there are alot who believe that based on the posts on here)

Its amazing how much idots out here think it would fly... down right scary.

Please turn in your CPL/ATP

No relative wind = no lift !!!!!!

Last edited:
Pretty soon this concept is going to click in your mind and you're going to realize just how much of an a$$ you made out of yourself. The plane will fly. It's just basic physics.

Are you for real ?

runway.gif

Woosh!

1) You need to get laid

2) The original question assumes the aircraft does not move, It states "As you add power and begin to move for the takoff roll, the treadmill speeds up and keeps the plane in the same relative position. As the plane goes faster, the treadmill speeds up, always maintaining the aircraft's relative position.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back